NEW YORK, N.Y. — The brew minds behind F.X. Matt Brewing Company’s Saranac brought innovation to a new level with the creation of an exclusive brew, available only at SAVOR 2013, that features ingredients specially bred for their unique flavor and aroma profiles.
“Our brewing team researches unique ingredients to inspire new ideas every year,” said Saranac President Fred Matt. “We’re always trying to outdo the beers we’ve created in the past. Plus, we’re celebrating our 125th anniversary and this is another way we get to demonstrate our inventive brewing approach.”
SAVOR?: An American Craft Beer & Food Experience showcases America’s small and independent craft brewers with beer and food pairings. This year’s event, June 14 and 15 at the Altman Building and adjoining Metropolitan Pavilion in Manhattan, features beers from 76 craft brewers from across the country.
Saranac’s exclusive SAVOR event brew is a limited edition recipe developed especially for this event. This aromatic beer features the Traminette grape, a full-flavored grape hybrid from Cornell University’s New York State Agricultural Experiment Station, which is highlighted by three distinctive hops bred at the Hop Research Institute in Hull, Germany.
- Hallertau Blanc has a distinctive aroma with notes of passion fruit, gooseberry and pineapple.
- Madarina Bavaria boasts a fruity, sweet aroma with a remarkable citrus character, in particular tangerine and mandarin orange, that carries over into the beer.
- Huell Melon presents a rich honeydew melon aroma with nuances of strawberry.
Saranac will also feature its White IPA, which pairs orange peel and coriander with wheat malt and oats for a refreshing twist on the traditional IPA.
Separately, and also available at SAVOR, Saranac partnered with Brewery Ommegang and Brooklyn Brewery to create the commemorative collaboration beer, New York Limited. The brewers packed this beer, a strong white lager, with as many New York State ingredients as possible, including honey, lemon verbena (an herb), and hops.
“SAVOR is our place to shine,” said Fred. “Saranac beers pair perfectly with food — each one specially crafted to be distinctive and full-flavored, yet not overpowering, so that you can enjoy your meal.”
Saranac’s SAVOR 2013 brew pairings include:
- Saranac’s Exclusive Brew and Green Pea Tapioca with Smoked Salmon and Mint — The crisp notes of the beer lift the tapioca off the palate, while the salmon is accented by the white grape juice added during fermentation of the beer.
- White IPA and Sepia, Compressed Watermelon, Basil, Chili Oil, Pistachio — The melon, basil and chili oil interact on the palate at the same time, yet in different places. The sepia holds the flavors on the palate, while the pistachio brings out the finish in the beer.
- New York Limited collaboration — This special release will be presented as an exit gift to SAVOR attendees in a 750 ml corked and caged bottle.
Celebrate with us. Use #Saranac125 and connect with F.X. Matt Brewing Company and Saranac on Facebook (www.facebook.com/Saranac), Twitter (@SaranacBrewery), and Instagram (@SaranacBrewery). For more information, visit saranac.com.
F.X. Matt Brewing Company in Utica, N.Y., was founded in 1888. Today, under the leadership of the third and fourth generations of the Matt family, the brewery is celebrating 125 years of brewing. Through a commitment to innovation and brewing excellence, the company has earned a reputation as one of the country’s most respected brewers of craft beers, including the Saranac line. In each bottle of Saranac, you’ll find exceptional quality, distinctive ingredients and a refreshing twist on tradition — the signature of the F.X. Matt Brewing Company.