ESCONDIDO, CA – In February, Stone Brewing unleashed a juicy and tropical IPA brewed with whole tangerine and pineapple named Stone Tangerine Express IPA. Six months later the hugely flavorful and aromatic Stone Tangerine Express IPA is making its debut in six-packs of 12-ounce cans.
“We brew beers we like with hopes that our fans will like them too,” said Dominic Engels, Stone Brewing CEO. “In this case our co-founder Greg Koch had fallen in love with an experimental batch of Stone Tangerine Express IPA and insisted we bring it to market. Turns out our fans have loved it too, so that leaves us with the important task of making this beer as widely available as we can. There’s nothing quite like cracking into one of these cans and drinking in that complex tangerine aroma before the first sip.”
Cans now make up 30 percent of Stone’s package sales and the brewery now offers four of its year-round core beers in cans as well as select special releases.
Stone Tangerine Express IPA pours light golden in color with an aroma that’s bright, juicy and tropical. Stone’s brewers used whole tangerine puree to capture the essence of the bright flavors of the fruit with the addition of whole pineapple for a subtle, yet lingering tropical backnote. Neither the hops nor the fruit dominate, yet together they create several complex fruit layers, which can only be achieved by brewing with the entire fruit. Eight different hops give this beer its marked dankness overtones and refreshing bitterness. It’s an express ticket to a beach hammock getaway with refreshing drink in hand, complete with punchy tropical fruit character and Stone’s signature bold hop bitterness.
Stone Tangerine Express IPA has been nationally available in 22-ounce bottles and draft since February, 2017. Twelve-ounce six-pack cans will first be available throughout California in August, eventually rolling out nationally in January 2018. Stone Tangerine Express IPA remains one of Stone’s year-round core beers alongside Stone IPA, Stone Delicious IPA, Stone Ruination Double IPA 2.0 and Stone Ripper San Diego Pale Ale.
- Name: Stone Tangerine Express IPA
- Stats: 6.7% ABV, 75 IBUs
- Availability: 22-ounce bottles nationwide; 12oz, 6-pack cans in California beginning in early August, and nationally in January 2018
- Featured Hops: Chinook, Magnum, Centennial, Citra, Sterling, Mosaic, Azzaca, Simcoe
- Appearance: Light golden with slight haze.
- Aroma: Bright, fresh fruit aromas of pineapple, tangerine, and tangelo combine with citrus and tropical aromas from the hops.
- Taste: An explosion of fresh fruit and bright hops join together to create several complex fruit layers. Taste is both fruity and hoppy leading to a long finish.
- Palate: Crisp, clean, and refreshingly bitter. There is a pithy quality similar to biting into fresh fruit along with the back-end bitterness one would expect from a Stone Brewing IPA.
- Overall: Working with fruit can be amazing and using good quality fruit is key to achieving that wonderful freshness and avoiding artificial flavorings. The high-end pureed fruit used here blends exceptionally well with the aroma and flavors from the hops creating a multi-layered IPA that also has the dankness and bitterness that superbly rounds out this beer.
About Stone Brewing
Founded by Greg Koch and Steve Wagner in 1996, the groundbreaking San Diego-based Stone Brewing is the 9th largest craft brewer in the United States. Recognized as an award-winning, industry leader, Stone has been listed on the Inc. 500 | 5000 Fastest Growing Private Companies list 12 times, has been called the “All-time Top Brewery on Planet Earth” by BeerAdvocate magazine twice. The multifaceted company is the first American craft brewer to independently build, own and operate their own brewery in Europe (Berlin, Germany), and also opened a production brewery in Richmond, Virginia in 2016. Known for its bold, flavorful and largely hop-centric beers, Stone has earned a reputation for brewing outstanding, unique beers while maintaining an unwavering commitment to sustainability, business ethics, philanthropy and the art of brewing…and pledging to never, ever, sell out to the man. For more information on Stone Brewing, please visit stonebrewing.com or the company’s social media sites: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter.