COOPERSTOWN, NY – Brewery Ommegang is fired up for big things at the Great American Beer Festival this week. With a new beer to reveal, two new beers to try, eight favorites to sample, a culinary competition at the festival, and a variety of offsite events, Ommegang’s presence in Denver is on a “scale” unlike anything we’ve done before.
New beer to reveal
Things will heat up at GABF when Brewery Ommegang and HBO reveal their third beer based on the hit HBO series, Game of Thrones. While the beer won’t be released until Spring 2014, guests can get a sneak peek at the label on Thursday, October 10 at 7:00 PM at the Ommegang booth, Endcap T1.
“Take the Black Stout”
Brewery Ommegang is excited to pour “Take the Black Stout” at GABF. “Take the Black Stout” is the latest offering in the Game of Thrones-inspired series. The beer is dark, bold, and complex, like the lives of the Night’s Watch, men who swore an oath to protect Westros. Fortunately, you won’t have to take such drastic measures to “Take the Black.” Visit Endcap T1 on Thursday and Friday at 6:30, 7:30 and 8:30 PM and on Saturday at 1:00, 3:00, 6:30, and 7:30 PM to sample the new brew and have your picture taken with members of the Night’s Watch.
Ommegang ales at GABF
Brewery Ommegang entered 10 beers in the competition and all of them will be available to try on the festival floor. In addition to “Take the Black Stout,” Ommegang will pour:
- NEW: Wild at Heart, American Wild Ale
- Ommegang Witte, Belgian-style Wheat Ale
- Ommegang Rare Vos, Belgian-style Amber Ale
- Ommegang Hennepin, Belgian-style Farmhouse Saison
- Ommegang Abbey, Belgian-style Dubbel Ale
- Ommegang Three Philosophers, Belgian-style Quadrupel Ale
- Ommegang Scythe and Sickle, Harvest Ale
- Ommegang Gnomegang, Blonde Ale
- Ommegang Tripel Perfection, Belgian-style Tripel Ale
Hop Chef Denver
Ommegang will host “Hop Chef” Denver at the Food and Beer Pavilion on Thursday, October 10 at 8:30 PM. Hop Chef Denver features Chefs Jeff Osaka of Twelve Restaurant, Kyle Foster of Colt & Gray, and Jensen Cummings of Slotted Spoon. Each chef will prepare a dish paired with an Ommegang ale then present and defend their dish to the attendees and a panel of judges. The judges are Simon Thorpe, President/CEO of Brewery Ommegang and Duvel USA, Phil Leinhart, Ommegang’s Brewmaster, and Paul Leone, Executive Director of the New York State Brewer’s Association. The winner will represent Denver at “Hop Chef” National during Ommegang’s “Belgium Comes to Cooperstown” festival in August 2014. Food and Beer Pavilion events are first come, first served, so be sure to arrive early for this culinary showdown.
The pairing lineup for “Hop Chef” Denver is:
- Chef Osaka: Ommegang Gnomegang paired with Pekin duck breast with Palisade peach caramel, creamed Brussels sprouts and Marcona almond crumble.
- Chef Foster: Ommegang Take the Black Stout paired with roasted leg of beast with snail & lentil trencher, and Hazel Dell Farm mushroom and garden herbs.
- Chef Cummings: Ommegang Tripel Perfect paired with Lowcountry rabbit meatball, “burnt” witloof jam, powdered wort and three pepper coulis.
- “Take the Black” with Ommegang all week long at a variety of offsite events. All events are 21+. Wednesday, October 9 – Barrels & Bottles Brewery – Golden, CO – Take the Black Release and Ommegang Tap Takeover – 5pm
- Thursday, October 10 – World of Beer – Denver, CO –Take the Black Release – 5pm
- Friday, October 11 – Pizza Republica – Denver, CO – 6pm Happy Hour / 7pm Ommegang Dinner. Tickets are $60 per person (plus taxes and gratuity) for this four-course beer pairing dinner hosted by Ommegang Brewmaster Phil Leinhart. Tickets available now at Pizza Republica.
- Saturday, October 12 – Falling Rock – Denver, CO – Take the Black Release – 9pm
Brewery Ommegang opened in 1997 to craft-brew fine Belgian-style ales. The brewery creates six ales year-round, as well as an extensive and imaginative range of seasonal and specialty ales. The beers have won a national following by connoisseurs of fine beer and are distributed in 45 states and internationally. Ommegang is located on a 136-acre farmstead in Cooperstown, New York, USA and offers free daily tours and inexpensive tastings as well as a 100-seat café, a well-stocked brewery store, and an annual calendar of public events. Ommegang is open every day of the year except for Christmas Eve Day, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, and New Year’s Day. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 1-800-544-1809, or visit www.ommegang.com. Ommegang is a member of the Duvel family of fine beers. Follow Ommegang on Twitter: @BreweryOmmegang , Facebook.com/Ommegang, Instagram: @BreweryOmmegang