ESCONDIDO, CA — A devastatingly fresh and immensely hopped Stone Brewing Co. beer, Stone Enjoy By 07.04.14 IPA, has been bottled, kegged, loaded on refrigerated trucks and is en route to hopheads nationwide. Stone is making it available to retailers and restaurants in all 41 states where Stone beers are sold, including Puerto Rico.
Stone Enjoy By 07.04.14 IPA showcases citrusy, fruity character brought on from 13 varieties of hops added at multiple stages during the brewing process. When combined and infused in massive quantities, the hops produce nuances of peaches and tropical fruit qualities that are evident in the aroma, while the taste is overwhelmingly hoppy.
Since the beer’s debut in 2012, Stone Enjoy By IPA has proven to be a groundbreaking way to savor fresh beer, and it has changed the way Stone and its distributors work together to deliver the fresh brews to increasingly fervent craft beer enthusiasts. The “Enjoy By” date that is prominently printed on the front of each bottle reflects the date, precisely 35 days after bottling, by which the IPA must be consumed. And Stone continues to make sure it will be: In the unlikely event that any hop-potent beer remains on the shelves on July 5, it will be removed.
Stone is giving fans the power to choose where the next batch of Stone Enjoy By IPA will go by engaging with the hashtags #EnjoyBy [five-digit zip code] on Twitter and Instagram, or by checking in with Untappd and adding a zip code to the notes section. Fans are able to visit the Stone Enjoy By IPA website, and a now mobile-friendly online page, once a day per device to vote with their zip code. Based on total interactions, Stone guarantees to roll out future batches of the beer to the locations that are most vocal about their desire to drink more Stone Enjoy By IPA.
How can one find this incredibly fresh beer? Visit www.stonebrewing.com/enjoyby and use the interactive map to find exactly which retailers, restaurants and bars are carrying the beer in bottles or on draft.
- Name: Stone Enjoy By 07.04.14 IPA
- URL: www.stonebrewing.com/enjoyby
- Stats: 9.4% ABV, 88 IBUs
- Availability: Limited 22-ounce bottles and draft, beginning the week of May 30
- Hops bill: Ahtanum, Super Galena, Simcoe, Amarillo, Delta, Target, Calypso, Cascade, Citra, Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin, Motueka and Helga
- Distribution: AK, AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, VT, WA and Puerto Rico
- Appearance: Golden with a creamy white head.
- Aroma: Intense hoppiness, resin, peaches, and hints of tropical fruit are all evident in the aroma.
- Taste: Smooth malt up front, quickly dissipating into a massive onslaught of hops. The dankness and peach notes come through strongly.
- Palate: Smooth with hints of alcohol, and a perfect balance of bitterness and dryness on the back end.
- Overall: We took the opportunity with this beer to use several interesting techniques we’ve learned during our many years of brewing great double IPAs. The result is an intense, dry beer with very little malt sweetness, but with plenty of malt flavor to provide a background to the enormous…or shall I say “ginormous” hop character. Hopping, as might be expected, was over the top. First, the brew was mash-hopped with Ahtanum, one of our favorite hop varieties, after which we kettle-hopped with a very small dose of Super Galena hop extract for bittering. Then, using a technique known in homebrew circles as “hop bursting,” we loaded up very heavily on the flavor hops at the end of the boil and in the whirlpool. Simcoe, Delta, Target and Amarillo were used in the late kettle hop. Simcoe, Amarillo, Calypso and Cascade were used for the whirlpool hop. As you can clearly tell, this beer was super hoppy even before we dry-hopped it, but then we went for it…dry-hopping with primarily Southern Hemisphere hops, including Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin, Motueka and Helga
Drink extra-super-tasty Stone Enjoy By 07.04.14 IPA well before its shelf life to maximize the pungent glory that this beautiful, intense hop profile provides.
- Appetizers: Guacamole, kimchi, salt and pepper shrimp (or tofu), sausage-stuffed jalape├▒os
- Main course: Chicken-fried steak, Merguez sausage, gumbo, chile relleno, Thai drunken noodles
- Dessert: Carrot cake, peach cobbler, ginger spice cake, pumpkin cheesecake
- Cheeses: Parmigiano-Reggiano, extra aged Cheddar, Rogue Creamery Caveman Blue, Mimolette
- Cigars: Alec Bradley Trilogy Authentic Corojo, Altadis U.S.A Edici├│n Limitada, Camacho Select
Known for its bold, flavorful and largely hop-centric beers, Stone Brewing Co. has been brewing in North County San Diego since 1996. Founded by Greg Koch and Steve Wagner, Stone is the 10th largest craft brewer in the United States—a position it achieved without paid advertising, discounting or compromising standards. In addition to brewing, Stone owns two eclectic farm-to-table restaurants—Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens — Escondido and Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens — Liberty Station—and Stone Farms, an organic farm located near the brewery that grows produce for the restaurants. Stone also operates Stone Distributing Co., which distributes more than 30 craft beer brands throughout Southern California. For more information on Stone Brewing Co., please visit stonebrewing.com or the company’s social media sites: Twitter, Facebook, Inst