Portland, OR — Presented by Columbia Distributing and Pizza Schmizza – The 4th annual Portland Beer Week kicks off it’s largest year yet with over 90 events this June 5th through 15th. The event lineup includes festivals, beer dinners, seminars, tastings and pairing events and introduces an official 2014 beer week beer from Worthy Brewing and Hopworks, an official beer week sandwich from Lardo, official ice cream from Salt & Straw and the official Beer Donut from Blue Star Donuts.
Founded in 2010 Portland Beer Week’s goal is to celebrate the diversity, creativity and excitement for craft beer in the greatest beer city on earth – Portland, Oregon. More than just a collection of drinking events, organizers explore the furthest reaches of beer with cooking and unique pairings to the innermost details with seminars and beer deconstructions.
2014 Official Beer Week beer: Day Drinker Session India Rye Ale
Introducing the official beer of the 2014 Portland Beer Week – “Day Drinker Session India Rye Ale” made for the discerning daytime drinking enthusiast. Brewed at Worthy Brewing Co. in Bend, OR Day Drinker ISA marks a longtime coming reuniting between Worthy Brewmaster Chad Kennedy and Hopworks Urban Brewery owner/brewmaster Christian Ettinger who previously brewed together at Laurelwood Brewing where Chad succeeded Christian when he left to open Hopworks. Day Drinker Session IRA is designed for drinkability, with a balance of fruity northwest hops and spicy crystal rye and fermented with a smooth Kolsch yeast. Hops are focused on aroma and flavor over bitterness with rye malt flavors adding balance. It’s an aromatic and smooth beer with loads of hop character.
- Malts: Organic 2 row, Organic Wheat malt, crystal rye, crystal 60 and rye malt.
- Hops: Nugget, El Dorado, Meridian, Amarillo, CTZ and Simcoe.
- Original Gravity: 11 Plato. ABV: 4.32 %
- Day Drinker Session India Rye Ale will be available for a limited time beginning June 5th on draft and in 22oz bottles through Columbia Distributing during Portland Beer Week at most sponsor locations.
Official Beer Week Sandwich, Ice Cream and Donut
All Lardo locations and Easy Company will be featuring a special sandwich as well as the official beer week beer and t-shirt for sale as a special package for the duration of Portland Beer Week. Lardo’s collaboration official beer week sandwich if made with an Olympic Provisions Kielbasa, smoked Tillamook cheddar, sauerkraut, Worthy/Hopworks Session India Rye Ale mustard on toasted ciabatta.
Salt & Straw recreated Portland Beer Week’s “Day Drinker Session India Rye Ale” in ice cream form. Instead of just pouring beer directly into ice cream, Salt Straw have worked ÔÇ¿very closely with the brewers to showcase the unique ingredients and flavors that make this beer special. Available for a limited time at select Portland Beer Week events.
Blue Star Donuts is developing a special beer week beer donut that will be featured at their 2 locations and at select beer week donuts. Details of the style and recipe are still under wraps thoughÔÇª
More info at http://pdxbeerweek.com/special-guests/
- David Walker co-founder/owner of Firestone Walker Brewing and makers of the world’s best Pale Ales will be doing a series of tastings, bottle signings and lunch and dinner pairing events.
- Jeremy Tofte and Kirk McHale of the GABF, World Beer Cup and Alpha King champion Thai Me Up/Melvin Brewing in Wyoming will be in town doing a series of tastings, meet-the-brewers and IPA Throwdown’s.
- Dave Buhler and Steve Luke, co-founder and Head Brewer respectively of Elysian Brewing will be in town with Dave lending his considerable musical talents to the kickoff party and Steve pouring many of his unique special creations at Elysian Fields in Portland for the first time.
As usual this years Portland Beer Week has dinners pairing some of the world’s finest brewers with top chefs and local restaurants like Irving Street Kitchen, Raven & Rose, The American Local, Old Salt Marketplace, Firehouse and Whole Foods. To view the schedule of dinners go here.
Kickoff Party – Thursday June 5th
Portland Beer Week kicks off with events at Imperial Bottleshop & Taproom, East Glisan pizza lounge, Sizzle Pie, Ground Kontrol and a Brewer Band Bash at Ecliptic Brewing from 6-10pm. Featuring all brewers who are musicians sharing their musical skills on the newly opened Ecliptic Brewing patio including Brewmaster John Harris’ Random Orbiters, Double Mountain Brewery’s Brewmaster/Owner Matt Swihart and his Mountain Pool Service, Cascade Brewing’s Brewmaster Ron Gansberg’s band Black Lodge, The Commons Brewery’s Sean Burke’s bluegrass group Maris Otter and Elysian Brewing’s co-founder Dave Buhler playing songs from his solo record “What You Dream.” Beers from all the brewers will be on tap in addition to Ecliptic beers and including the first tapping of the official beer week beer Worthy/Hopworks Session IRA. Thursday June 5, 2014 6pm – 10pm Ecliptic Brewing, 825 N Cook St, Portland, OR 97227