The Beer'd Brewing Company
Apply for this Job
The Beer’d Brewing Co. –Stonington/Groton, CT
Reports to Ownership
Full-Time (40 hrs)
Salaried Employee (exempt)
Beer’d Brewing was opened in 2012 with a three-barrel brewhouse focusing on hop forward Ales and has grown to produce 7,000 BBLs annually. With a taproom foreword approach The Beer’d Brewing Company also maintains a sizeable self-distribution model within Connecticut and partners with wholesalers for distribution in both Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
The Beer’d Brewing Company has two facilities one located in Stonington with a 15 bbl brewhouse and the second located in Groton with a 20 bbl brewhouse. The Head Brewer will be imperative as we continue to brew at both locations. The ideal candidate will have hands-on operational brewing experience, be passionate, committed to and relentlessly quality-focused, while also cognizant of the importance of listening, mentorship, teamwork, and the company’s core focus.
This position will oversee production schedules and ensure implementation of all standard operating procedures to maintain consistency, quality and efficiency throughout the production process. A thorough understanding of all aspects of beer production, including grain handling, yeast management, filtration, packaging and QA/QC is required.
The Head Brewer reports directly to Ownership and leads all functions and processes related to brewing, cellaring, packaging, operational maintenance, and quality assurance. Responsibilities include coordinating with the other Head Brewer to ensure uniformity across two brewing locations, sourcing of brewing and packaging materials, constantly seeking innovation in the development process, and continually improving methods to impact quality, consistency, and efficiency. As part of The Beer’d Brewing Company management team, the Head Brewer will work with others inside the company to develop and achieve the company’s long-term and short-term goals.
- Supports The Beer’d Brewing Co.’s Core Values and Focus
- Coordinate with management team on production planning and forecasting
- Oversee the entire brewing process from milling to readying liquids for filling and packaging
- Oversee and improve yeast management (harvesting, pitching, storage)
- Develop and maintain management and vendor relationships
- Review and revision of all brewhouse and cellar SOP’s
- Offer insight on troubleshooting, technical maintenance and adherence to SOP’s
Daily Operations (Cont.)
- Oversee data collection in brewhouse software environment
- Work and communicate well across all levels of a brewery operation (management, packaging, customer, suppliers, etc.)
- Offer suggestions on process improvements to cellaring techniques
- Oversee brewhouse and cellar sanitation
- Assist in the development of department budget, planning, and forecasting as well as directing production staff as they implement daily operational activities
- Work with Accounting to review appropriate financial statements, sales and activity reports and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement. Identify and rectify areas for cost reduction and program improvement.
- Manage the brewhouse and cellar teams
- Guide others to identify brewhouse equipment, facilities and talent to meet future growth projections
- Hold all crew members accountable to operating within brewery procedures
- Conduct annual performance reviews with all direct reports
- Translate the overall business strategy into operational goals and objectives for the brewery
- Represent Beer’d at industry technical events, conferences, and marketing events
- Ability to become a Certified Cicerone within six months
- Must be able to climb stairs both inside and outside and ladders
- Occasionally lift up to 60 lbs
- Proficient with Google Suite
- Solid working knowledge with brewery ERP systems (Ekos, Keg Id, Orchestrated Beer, etc) and POS systems (Square, Breadcrumb, etc)
- Ability to create a strategy to implement continual improvements in brewing and packaging processes including automation to meet demand and to improve consistency, quality, and efficiency
- Demonstrated ability to create and deliver engaging, straight forward, and detail-oriented presentations to a wide variety of audiences
- Must become Cicerone Level 1 Beer Server Certified within six months of hire. If this is not achieved, a plan of action will be put in place.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Prior experience on a minimum 15-barrel brewhouse in a full production brewery
- Experience working in a multi facility organization desired
- A minimum 5 years practical, professional brewing, packaging, maintenance, and quality control experience
- 2+ Years management and leadership experience required
- Experience creating, experimenting, and brewing multiple styles of beer
- Prior knowledge of barrel-aging and brewing sours is a plus
- In depth knowledge of yeast strains, hop varieties, grain varieties, grain roasts, etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and constantly changing work environment
- Writing and math skills are necessary to accurately complete a dilution calculation, volume, flow, density, weight, length, pressure and other unit conversions, calculate beer volumes/losses and alcohol content
- Strong work ethic and self-starter
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team collaboration
- High level of attention to detail and strong communication skills
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Some flexibility in hours is allowed, however employees are expected to be available during the “core” work hours of 8:00am- 5:00pm. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Must be open and able to travel by all methods. This position requires occasional travel to breweries and other taproom locations. Occasional travel outside the local area and overnight stays may be required.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The employee may work with hazardous materials and utilities.
- The employee works on wet floors and with wet equipment.
- The employee may at times work around high voltage, flame, hot water, steam, broken glass, and CO2 sources.
- The employee frequently works in a sanitary environment.
- The employee may sometimes work near moving mechanical parts.
The Beer’d Brewing Company is an equal opportunity employer, practicing equality of employment and advancement opportunities to all regardless of race, creed, color, national origin or ancestry, sex, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, learning disability, mental disability, physical disability, veteran status, or any other protected group status under federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment; including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absences, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation based on experience. Benefits include PTO, Paid Holidays, Health Insurance, 401(k) retirement plan and free beer.