ESCONDIDO, CA — In time for fall, Stone Brewing Co. is introducing a new, citrus-rich chocolaty iteration of the classic year-round Stone Smoked Porter. Today, Stone Smoked Porter w/Chocolate & Orange Peel begins shipping in 22-ounce bottles and on draft at retailers, bars and restaurants in select markets nationwide.
“Since 2006, we’ve done experimental cask creations with Stone Smoked Porter and discovered how well it pairs with a broad range of ingredients, from chipotle peppers to vanilla beans,” explains Stone Brewmaster Mitch Steele. “When trying out different combinations for this specific limited release, I was really impressed with how well chocolate and orange peel worked together and knew it had to be shared with our fans on a large scale.”
Orange peel was added post-fermentation to bring about a citrusy aroma and lingering, tangy flavor. The cocoa flavors come from the dark malts and addition of chocolate from Los Angeles-based ChocoVivo, which naturally augment the beer’s sweet, robust flavor. Magnum and Mt. Hood hops provide complex flavors, aromatics and a balanced bitterness that doesn’t overpower the chocolate and citrus qualities of the beer.
To fully enjoy the robust flavors present in Stone Smoked Porter w/Chocolate & Orange Peel, the beer should be enjoyed within 120 days from the “bottled on” date found on the bottle neck.
- Name: Stone Smoked Porter w/Chocolate & Orange Peel
- URL: stonebrewing.com/porter/chocolateorange
- Stats: 5.9% ABV, 53 IBUs
- Availability: Limited 22-ounce bottles and draft, beginning October 20
- Hops bill: Magnum and Mt. Hood
- Distribution: AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, TV, WA, and Puerto Rico
- Find this beer: find.stonebrewing.com
- Appearance: Pours deep brown with a tan head.
- Aroma: Peat-smoked malt, orange peel and coffee with hints of cocoa.
- Taste: First impression is the smoky flavor from the peat-smoked malt that characterizes our regular Stone Smoked Porter, followed immediately by a blast of orange peel and citrus. Cocoa and roast malt characters follow, but the orange peel is particularly prominent in the aftertaste.
- Palate: Medium body with a light sweetness and citrus tang, along with balanced hop bitterness.
- Overall: This is a fun beer to brew. We’ve loved this orange and chocolate flavor in beer for a long time, and our team has made several casks of this particular version that are always very popular. The orange notes blend in well with the dark-roasted malt character, and the peat-smoked malt adds layers of flavor.
- Appetizers: Goat-cheese stuffed mushrooms, coconut shrimp, bacon-wrapped dates, pulled pork sliders, hummus, artichoke dip
- Soups: Beef stew, lentil, New England-style clam chowder, French onion soup, chili con carne
- Entrees: Pork tenderloin, lamb chops, filet mignon, stuffed Poblano peppers, Indian yellow curry
- Desserts: Tiramisu, chocolate lava cake, oatmeal cookies, pecan pie, vanilla ice cream
Founded by Greg Koch and Steve Wagner in 1996, San Diego-based Stone Brewing Co. is the 10th largest craft brewer in the United States. Stone has been listed on the Inc. 500 | 5000 Fastest Growing Private Companies list 10 times, and has been called the “All-time Top Brewery on Planet Earth” by BeerAdvocate magazine twice. The multi-faceted company will be the first American craft brewer to independently own and operate facilities in Berlin, Germany, and also intends to build a second production brewery in Richmond, Virginia. Known for its bold, flavorful and largely hop-centric beers, Stone has earned a reputation for brewing outstanding, unique beers while maintaining an unwavering commitment to sustainability, business ethics, philanthropy and the art of brewing. For more information on Stone Brewing Co., please visit stonebrewing.com or the company’s social media sites: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google+, YouTube, Pinterest and The Stone Blog.