ESCONDIDO, CA — Feeble palates beware: The Bastards are coming. Starting today, 2014 Double Bastard Ale and Lukcy Basartd Ale will descend upon an unsuspecting nation in 22-ounce bottles and on draft at select retailers, restaurants and bars. Not to be wasted on the tentative or weak, both beers are reserved for Worthy souls with the ability to comprehend and appreciate these refined forms of “Liquid Arrogance.” They are amazing specimens to be relished, revered and respected.
Fizzy yellow beer drinkers should simply stay home…with their mothers.
Originally created to honor the one-year anniversary of Arrogant Bastard Ale—itself an over-the-top ale that led to the establishment of the now widely recognized American Strong Ale beer category—Double Bastard Ale was first released November 1998 and has since been released on an annual basis. The beer debuted as the amped-up evil uncle of its already aggressive predecessor, with the bottle warning: “This is one lacerative muther of an ale.”
First unleashed upon the world in November 2010, Lukcy Basartd Ale was created to celebrate every form of Arrogance for Arrogant Bastard Ale’s (lucky) 13th anniversary by blending Arrogant Bastard Ale, Double Bastard Ale and OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale, and then dry-hopping the result to the hilt. The LB has been making a brief appearance every other year since.
While Lukcy Basartd Ale should be consumed right away and without delay when it’s at its brash freshest, the massive Double Bastard Ale can be massively enjoyed sooner, later, or whenever you damn well please, as it may be properly cellared for months or even years.
Name: 2014 Double Bastard Ale
- Stats: 11% ABV, IBUs — CLASSIFIED
- Availability: Limited three-liter bottles, Arrogant Bastard Box, 22-ounce bottles and draft, beginning October 27
- Hops bill: CLASSIFIED
- Distribution: AK, AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, VT, WA and Puerto Rico
- Find this beer: find.stonebrewing.com
- Appetizers, Soups, Salads, & Entrees: Pair with whatever you feel like eating, whenever you feel like eating it. Just don’t pair it with that crappy junk you sometimes like to eat. You may or may not be better than that, but the beers most certainly are.
- Artisanal Cheeses: Hell yes.
- Desserts: You eat too much sugar already. Give it a break. These beers qualify as dessert on their own.
- Cigars: Deaden your palate some other time, Mr./Ms. Macho Gourmand Cigar Smoker. One of the best ways to enjoy the finer things in life is to know the proper time and place. If you can’t handle these beers with an unadulterated palate, then give them to someone who can.