ESCONDIDO, CA – The newest special release from Stone Brewing is now available and its journey to the brewhouse was no small feat. This beer required years of trials and a quest for perfect ingredients to achieve such exquisite balance. Stone Soaring Dragon Imperial IPA harmonizes the delicate floral qualities of White Tea with Citra and Loral hops.
Stone’s brewers have long experimented with teas in beer: Green tea, Earl Grey, Chai, Jasmine and more. Two years ago, the brewers set out on a series of trials to nail a perfect recipe for a national release. A trip to the famous Tianshan Tea City market offered exploration into white tea varieties, where they finally landed on the aromatic White Peony Tea for the win.
The resulting beer is a lesson in balance and harmony. The brewers achieved synergy between a complex and delicate tea and bold hop character. White Peony Tea is known for its herbal and stone fruit attributes that are subtle enough to complement hops without adding too much bitterness. As a result, the tea qualities dominate in the aroma. Flavors of raspberry, cinnamon, honey, sage and grapefruit pith are balanced with a sweet malt backbone. It’s refreshing while serving up that double IPA punch of flavor.
“We’re always trying to make a really unique beer, and that doesn’t have to be so complicated,” explained Steve Gonzalez, Stone Brewing Senior Manager of Brewing & Innovation – Small Batch. “This is an example of just that. When you have the best ingredients, you don’t have to do much else. We get the best hops money can buy and we sourced a tea that’s simply spectacular. You can taste the quality in this beer.”
Stone Soaring Dragon Imperial IPA is available in 12oz six-pack cans and 22oz bottles nationwide. It is available online for shipping in California at shop.stonebrewing.com.
- Name: Stone Soaring Dragon Imperial IPA
- Release Web: Stonebrewing.com/soaringdragon
- Stats: 8% ABV; 38 IBUs
- Availability: Special Release
- Packaging: 12oz six-pack cans and 22oz bottles
- Find Beer: Find.stonebrewing.com
- Appearance: Gold, clear, thin white head.
- Aroma: Floral, tea, herbal, calendula, lemon and lychee as well as apricot and other stone fruit aromas.
- Taste: Raspberry, cinnamon stick and clover honey with hints of coconut and papaya, spearmint, sage, clean white tea and grapefruit pith.
- Palate: Sweet malt backbone with soft tannin.
- Starters: Jidori Wings*, Labneh Rolls, Cucumber Sandwiches (triangle cut, crusts off, and pinkies out… we’re not hooligans here), Lo Mai Gai (Chinese Sticky Rice Wrapped in Lotus or Banana Leaf)
- Soups and Salads: Fruity Goat Salad (with seasonal fruits and shredded fillo-wrapped goat cheese)*, Won Ton Soup, Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Main Courses: Yucatan Pork Taco*, Vegetarian Pho, Falafel Plate with Tzatziki Sauce, Trout Amandine
- Desserts: Madeleines, Coconut Ice Cream, Baklava, Tamarind Cookies
*Menu items available for pickup and delivery at Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Escondido and Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Liberty Station.
ABOUT STONE BREWING
Founded by Greg Koch and Steve Wagner in 1996, the groundbreaking San Diego-based Stone Brewing is the 9th largest craft brewer in the United States. Recognized as an award-winning industry leader, Stone has been listed on the Inc. 500 | 5000 Fastest Growing Private Companies list 12 times and has been called the “All-time Top Brewery on Planet Earth” by BeerAdvocate magazine twice. The company operates breweries in Escondido, CA and Richmond, VA, plus nine tap room and bistro locations throughout the US and the nation’s largest craft-centric beer distributor, Stone Distributing Co. Stone’s bold, flavorful and largely hop-centric beers are available in all 50 states and more than 40 countries worldwide. For more information on Stone Brewing and its commitment to independence, sustainability, philanthropy and the art of brewing, visit stonebrewing.com or the company’s social media sites: Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.