BELLAIRE, MI – The Michigan Brewers Guild recently elected its 2012 Board of Directors at its annual meeting, January 12, at Shanty Creek Resort in Bellaire. Each board position is a two-year term, elected in alternating years (3, 2).
- Eric Briggeman, Brewmaster at Rochester Mills Beer Co. in Rochester, is continuing his fourth term on the board and will serve his fifth year as Guild President.
- Steve Berthel, Brewmaster and Partner at The Livery in Benton Harbor, was elected to his third term on the board of directors.
- Scott Newman-Bale, Vice President of Short’s Brewing Company in Bellaire, was elected to his second term on the board and will continue to serve as treasurer.
- Isaac Hartman, “Ambassador of Great Beer” from New Holland Brewing Company, is continuing his second term on the board of directors.
- Greg Burke, Brewmaster at Woodward Avenue Brewers, is continuing his second term on the board and will continue to serve as secretary.
Founded in 1997 and celebrating its 15th year, the Michigan Brewers Guild oversees the organization’s administrative and promotional affairs, including four annual public events: Winter Beer Festival in February in Grand Rapids, Summer Beer Festival in July in Ypsilanti, UP Fall Beer Festival in September and Detroit Fall Beer Festival in October, as well as its annual Winter Conference in January. Currently, the Guild represents 89 member breweries — the highest number since the organizations inception.
Michigan’s thriving brewing industry conservatively contributes more than $24 million in wages with a total economic contribution of more than $133 million. In terms of overall number breweries, microbreweries and brewpubs, Michigan ranks #5 in the nation — thus supporting its claim as “The Great Beer State.”
The Michigan Brewers Guild exists to unify the Michigan brewing community; to increase sales of Michigan-brewed beer through promotions, marketing, public awareness and consumer education; and to monitor and assure a healthy beer industry within the state. For more information, including a list of Michigan microbreweries, log on towww.michiganbrewersguild.org.