CINCINNATI — On Saturday, March 1, Greg Hardman, CEO of the Christian Moerlein Brewing Co., and his colleagues and patrons celebrated the 10th anniversary of his ownership and the 161stanniversary of the historic brewing company.
It was a toast well worth the wait. Over the last decade, Hardman has single handily rescued all brand assets of Cincinnati’s late great Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co., which was a top 10 brewer as recently as the 1990s and has been credited with being a major catalyst of Cincinnati’s current craft beer movement.
“Greg Hardman is almost single-handedly recreating the story of Cincinnati beer as the owner of the Christian Moerlein Brewing Company,” according to a recent story published in The Cincinnati Enquirer.
During that timeframe, Hardman set out on a four-phase plan to bring back Cincinnati’s Grand Brewing Traditions with some of Cincinnati’s great beer brands. One of these brands was Christian Moerlein, the first American beer to pass the German Purity Law known as the Reinheitsgebot, and one of the original beers of today’s craft beer movement.
Over the past decade, Hardman has been busy at work energizing Cincinnati’s brewing heritage as well as his own portfolio of companies.
- National distribution of the brands of the Christian Moerlein Brewing Company by repositioning the brands and developing new and interesting styles more relevant to today’s craft beer scene
- Newly renovated brewery with a Tap Room located in Cincinnati’s historic Over-the-Rhine
- Opening of the Moerlein Lager House, the riverfront brewpub adjacent to Great American Ball Park on the banks of the Ohio River anchoring a revitalized city park and a new housing and retail development called The Banks
- Development of a Master Plan for the Over-the-Rhine Brewery District under his leadership
- Re-introduction of the Beer Barons Hall of Fame under his leadership of the Brewery District Community Urban Redevelopment Corporation as president
About Christian Moerlein Brewing Co.:
Christian Moerlein Brewing Co. is a Cincinnati-based brewer of handcrafted lagers and ales. Founded in 1853 by Christian Moerlein, the company operated until Prohibition forced it to close. It was revived in 1981, and was on the leading edge of the craft beer movement at a time when the term “microbrew” was not a part of American vocabulary.
Now under the helm of Greg Hardman, the company continues to brew classic favorites and create new and diverse offerings, celebrating Cincinnati’s great brewing heritage.
For more information, visit Christian Moerlein Brewing Company Facebook Page for details.