ESCONDIDO, CA — New and improved ideas are sometimes created by taking a well-established, solid concept and introducing a unique feature. This is true of the latest release from Stone Brewing Co.: Stone Smoked Porter w/Chipotle Peppers. Back in 2006, Stone added a spicy twist to a classic, year-round brew by way of chipotle peppers. Since then, the beer has been a cult hit for many, including Stone’s pepper-loving CEO and Co-founder, Greg Koch. Beginning today, the beer is available in 22-ounce bottles and on draft at retailers, restaurants and bars in select markets nationwide.
Stone Smoked Porter w/Chipotle Peppers was conceived as an idea from a long-time member of Team Stone, Chris Carroll, who proposed the brewing team make a spicy one-off beer as a special Cinco de Mayo cask. Its origin was rather serendipitous, since at the time, a former Stone brewer had recently returned from a trip to Oaxaca, Mexico, and brought back chipotle peppers to use on a special beer creation. Originally dubbed “South of the Border Stone Smoked Porter,” the resulting brew brought forth an incredible blend of roastiness, smokiness, and just a touch of heat from the peppers.
“After Chris pitched his idea, we gave it a shot by making cask-conditioned batches of the beer to be served as a special offering at Stone Company Store – Escondido,” explains Stone Brewmaster Mitch Steele. “By melding Stone Smoked Porter with chipotle peppers, we found the chilies provided an enhanced roast flavor and perfect complement to the peat-smoked malt. There is a subtle taste of heat in the finish that balances well with the coffee and cocoa flavors found in the base beer.”
In 2012, Stone Smoked Porter w/Chipotle Peppers made its inaugural appearance nationally in 12-ounce bottles alongside its sweeter sibling Stone Smoked Porter w/Vanilla Bean. Since their initial debut, both variations have remained very popular among Stone fans.
To fully relish the mild pepper bite and peat-smoked barley qualities of the beer, fans should consume it fresh or within 120 days from the “bottled on” date.
- Name: Stone Smoked Porter w/Chipotle Peppers
- URL: www.stonebrewing.com/porter/chipotle
- Stats: 5.9% ABV, 53 IBUS
- Availability: Limited 22-ounce bottles and draft, beginning May 5
- Hops bill: Magnum and Mt. Hood
- Distribution: AK, AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, VT and WA
- Appearance: Pours deep brown with a rich tan head.
- Aroma: Roasted malts, pepper, cocoa and a unique smokiness imparted by both peat-smoked malt and chipotle peppers.
- Taste: Nice blend of roasted malts, coffee and dark chocolate, with pronounced chipotle smokiness.
- Palate: Smooth with a nice, spicy heat from the peppers.
- Overall: We first started making casks of this beer in 2006 for Cinco de Mayo celebrations. Since then, the beer has been both a fan and Team Stone favorite. We’ve brewed many small batches of it throughout the years and are always happy to make more!
- Appetizers: Bacon-wrapped jalape├▒o poppers, fried olives, spicy mushrooms stuffed with spinach and gorgonzola, glazed pork belly with grilled pineapple
- Soups: French onion, vegetarian chili, Manhattan clam chowder, albondigas
- Entrees: Baby back ribs (just about any Kansas City barbecue), Cajun blackened fish, black bean burger, chicken mole, poblano chilies stuffed with ramps and spring vegetables
- Desserts: Apple pie, spicy cinnamon crumble, tiramisu, chili-infused flourless chocolate cake
- Cheeses: Point Reyes Original Blue, Fiscalini Bandage Wrapped Cheddar, Ossau-iraty, Gorgonzola Dolce
- Cigars: Ashton Classic, Montecristo, CAO Brazilia
Known for its bold, flavorful and largely hop-centric beers, Stone Brewing Co. has been brewing in North County San Diego since 1996. Founded by Greg Koch and Steve Wagner, Stone is the 10th largest craft brewer in the United States—a position it achieved without paid advertising, discounting or compromising standards. In addition to brewing, Stone owns two eclectic farm-to-table restaurants—Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens — Escondido and Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens — Liberty Station—and Stone Farms, an organic farm located near the brewery which grows produce for the restaurants. Stone also operates Stone Distributing Co., which distributes more than 30 craft beer brands throughout Southern California. For more information on Stone Brewing Co., please visit stonebrewing.com or the company’s social media sites:Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google+, YouTube and The Stone Blog.