Seeking Innovative Head Brewer
Buck Wild Brewing
Apply for this Job
Exciting opportunity with a fast-growing and innovative brewery in the San Francisco Bay Area!!
Buck Wild Brewing is looking for a qualified, creative, passionate individual to serve as Head Brewer in our 1-year old brewery. We expect the Head Brewer to share our dedication to producing high-quality, category-leading, innovative, unique beer.
The Head Brewer is expected to develop creative recipes, obsess over quality and consistency, cleanliness and process, and take ownership of all brewery operations.
We are located in Oakland, CA.
- At least 21 years old
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the brewery
- Ensuring quality, safety, and consistency in producing Buck Wild’s portfolio of products
- Selecting ingredients and procuring supplies for the brewery
- Developing and managing brewing and purchasing schedules
- Preventative maintenance and safety protocols
- Creating new styles in consultation with management
- Participate in festivals and marketing events, public tours, education, tastings and interaction with brewery/taproom guests
- Forklift, Pallet Jack and equipment operation experience is critical
- Good knowledge of formulating and brewing top beer styles, as well as more obscure creations
- Live the brand and be a brand ambassador
- Other duties as needed
- Ability to frequently reach with hands and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Ability to frequently lift up to 55 pounds
- Ability to ascend and descend staircase repeatedly throughout shift
- Ability to be frequently exposed to wet conditions and work in extreme cold and heat
- Frequently exposed to strong and sometimes disagreeable odors and occasionally exposed to caustic chemicals
- Ability to work near moving mechanical parts
- Ability to work in a moderate noise level
The ideal candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- 5+ years’ experience in a production brewery. This should include a solid working knowledge of brewery operations: packaging, quality control, loss prevention, CIP, preventative maintenance, ingredients, and inventory management.
- Extensive experience with brewery build-out and/or expansion
- Solid problem solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Positive attitude, willingness to learn, lead and teach
- Exceptional working knowledge of the process of brewing beer. You should be able to not only create recognized styles but to use unique ingredients, techniques, processes, and combinations to create innovative beers.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal communication skills. You will be the key member of the team, so the ability to be a team player is absolutely essential. Likewise, you will need to communicate effectively with brewery employees.
- A degree from a recognized brewing school in Brewing Science is a plus but not required. We also prefer you to have at least a bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to brewing or brewery management, such as chemistry, engineering, mathematics, or biology. The more production brewery experience, the less emphasis will be placed on academic qualifications.
- Knowledge of canning and kegging
Abilities and Skills:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of Ekos Brewery Management Software a plus. The position requires careful record-keeping and accurate projections.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule
Compensation commensurate with level of experience