Octopi Brewing / Untitled Art
Apply for this Job
Octopi is looking for a Head Brewer - Waunakee, WI, located just outside of Madison.
Sign-on/relocation bonuses available!
The Head Brewer is directly responsible for the daily support of the brewing teams, including brewhouse, cellar and batching/blending. This role requires strong communication skills and a strong teamwork-based approach to our daily operations and deep knowledge of all aspects of the brewing process. The HB also works directly with our clients and across all teams internally. An open, solution-oriented mind and positive attitude are a must as our diverse set of products and processes is ever changing. Interactions with many different departments is required daily, and the HB is a pivotal facilitator of all brewing operations. The HB reports to and is supported directly by the Brewing Director. The following is a list of responsibilities and this will undoubtedly evolve:
- Daily direct interaction with the Quality team to oversee fermentation, approve product and give direction on any needed corrective direction
- Lead process improvement, support SOP and process development, develop individual product SOPs
- Lead safety initiatives with EHS manager, cascading and escalating safety concerns, training and information
- Support department leads to ensure thorough training of all brewers per the SOPs and established best practices
- Support further growth of the brewing teams to develop skills in an ongoing manner commensurate with each brewer’s development
- Act as “next level” trainer by deepening the team’s understanding of process and best practice so they continue to develop as brewers and problem solvers
- Provide deeper analysis of issues and their solutions
- Act as primary point of contact for clients as needed to translate or develop processes specific to their products
- Act as primary point of contact for clients to respond to quality concerns, recipe and process adjustments on an ongoing basis
- Work directly with our project manager and recipe specialist to develop and approve client recipes for new products, scaled to our systems
- Includes scaling client recipes, drafting and confirmation of recipes with clients, adjustments and redrafting, price accommodation and follow up with our project manager to ensure timely upfront completion of prerequisites that facilitate flexible scheduling
- Support brewing teams as a facilitator, following up with other teams on the status of many different inputs affecting schedule attainment to ensure continued process flow
- Execute follow through of priorities established by Brewing Director
- Covers all emerging needs for the brewhouse and cellar
- Escalate observed needs and propose solutions and ideas to meet them
- Ensure proper documentation throughout brewing
- Enforce completeness
- Add new as needed or prescribed by Brewing Director
- Problem solving and decision making support with all brewing teams on a daily basis
- Primary conduit to escalate, cascade and address maintenance needs
- Primary contact for BH raw materials, interact with suppliers to respond to all needs and concerns regarding raw materials
- Lead brewing team, manage personnel issues and accountability as a team with leads and Brewing Director
The Head Brewer must have a minimum of 7 years experience in a production brewery environment producing 100,000 bbl+ year. A bachelor’s degree in the sciences and/or related brewing education is a plus. Diverse experience and strong aptitude with automated equipment is also plus. A positive attitude is a must.
- Ability to lift 55lbs and move 165lbs, as needed.
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Basic troubleshooting skills in a brewing/manufacturing setting.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced environment.
We are looking for an energetic candidate with a positive attitude. You should model teamwork, collaboration, communication, honesty and community. You must believe that your team’s successes are your own achievements. We will train and guide in every process and help you become a well-rounded professional. You will be accountable for every aspect your work. You will be responsible to ensure all your tasks are conducive to a safe working environment.
You will be part of Octopi’s team, both internally and externally, so you must always represent the company in a positive manner.
At Octopi we think of ourselves as a community. We are open, informal and laid back, but also hard working and respectful of others. You should be as well.
Qualified and interested individuals should please submit their letter of intention and resume.
Compensation varies based on experience. Health insurance, dental, vision, paid time off, 401k and other extra perks.
Offers of employment at Octopi are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check. Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates, as deemed necessary.
Octopi requires employees to be vaccinated for COVID (unless exempt).