Lead Packaging Specialist
Avery Brewing Company
Apply for Job
Lead Packaging Specialist
Purpose: The Lead Packaging Specialist coordinates and leads the activities of Packaging Specialists during scheduled shifts. Communicates and coordinates relevant activities of the packaging department with beer making and supporting departments (cellar & warehouse). Contributes to growth and development of department on and off scheduled shifts by performing direct supervisory and non-supervisory, administrative duties, as well as day to day Packaging Specialist duties as directed.
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Stop the job for safety
- Provides direct supervision to packaging specialists during regularly scheduled shifts to facilitate a safe environment, quality production, and execution of the production schedule. Plans and executes staffing during those shifts to accommodate for breaks. Has the ability to and does participate in performing the work of all supervisees.
- Provides regular formal and informal performance feedback to supervisees in both written and spoken communication formats. Identifies areas of potential growth and facilitates opportunities for that growth to develop the talents and abilities of staff.
- Provides and receives feedback from management, peer to peer feedback to and from other Lead Packaging Machine Operators, to provide a consistent working environment for the department at all times.
- Provides feedback to management on the status of supervisee performance, equipment performance, and potential production issues that may arise in order to execute on production goals and develop the staff. Develops and communicates to management proposed shift staffing plans to accommodate the workload and staff development.
- Reconciles production order and master sanitation schedule demands by adjusting to current conditions, printing and disseminating all appropriate documentation. Transacts or records, in Orchestrated Beer (SAP), or Document Control Systems, all completed production orders and non-production tasks (shift notes/MSS/QC analysis/etc). Execution thereof to stay abreast of departmental progress and organizational accountability.
- Leads or assists in the development, refining, and implementation of Standard Operating Procedures, Troubleshooting Aids, and Forms/Spreadsheets/Documents within the scope of the packaging department. Provides oversight and review of the same scope within the Document Control System. Facilitates the training of all operators to current revisions in order to maintain departmental proficiency and continuity.
- Troubleshoots and adjusts machines during operation. Resolves mechanical discord or provides direction to and enlists the help of the maintenance department through the appropriate channels in order to maintain the safety of the area, quality of product, and effectiveness of the packaging staff.
- Requisitions, through inventory transfer request and regular communication with supporting department staff, material and component needs between warehouses. Communicates out of specification material and components to management and relevant vendors. Is familiar with vendor relationships to most effectively perform that communication.
- Identifies, defines, plans, and executes, with the help of management and peers, continuous improvements for the department and organization. Projects may include relationships to the environment, workflow, training, technical presentations, process improvements, and others that align with the goal of making the department(s) and production employees working life more productive, reliable and repeatedly sustained over time.
- Attends and participates in regularly scheduled meetings with management, peers and supervisees, on or off shift times, to maintain departmental cohesiveness and trajectory.
- Character - Treats people with tact and respect; Keeps commitments; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Works with integrity and ethically; Reacts well under pressure; Consistently at work and on time; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time; Displays willingness to make decisions; Takes ownership of results both good and bad.
- Visionary Leadership - Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Seeks to guide actions and opinions of others; Gives appropriate recognition to others; Sets and achieves goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Communication Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions and feedback; Participates in meetings; Writes clearly and informatively; Presents numerical data effectively.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Develops alternative solutions; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment.
- Safety, Quality, and Productivity Management - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Conserves organizational resources; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Measures self and team against standard of excellence; Completes tasks on time.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Adapts to changes in the work environment; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Commitment - Demonstrates sustained dedication to the completeness and accuracy of all departmental transactions, procedures, and task. Ensures the sanitation directions and standards of Avery Brewing Co are executed regularly and completely for all areas of responsibility.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Avery Brewing Packaging Specialist Technical Training:
Employee has successfully advanced through Packaging Specialist I & II technical training as described by Avery Tier List documentation. Employee has successfully achieved, and maintained up to date, all Avery Brewing Co safety training presentations-programs-assessments as described by Avery’s safety committee. Employee has proven adequate at all Competencies described above and expressed interest and desire for self-growth and development within Avery Brewing Co. Proven track record for uplifting peers and promoting teamwork, building a positive team spirit. Puts success of team above own interests. Has expressed desire to and competencies in leadership traits, training, coaching, etc, for the success and growth of the teAm.
Education and / or Experience
HS Diploma or equivalency required. Understanding of organizational and departmental composition and responsibilities. Two year of exemplary prior work as a Packaging Machine Operator or comparable preferred. Demonstration of competencies and skills as described above. Completion of all Operator Training Requirements and documentation sign offs.
Ability to read, compose and speak both simple and complex ideas and concepts from various information sources. Ability to formulate and apply concrete and abstract concepts between those sources in verbal or written format and disseminate to individuals or groups.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide real numbers. Ability to perform these operations using units of weight, measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to seek information, compare with multiple sets or other sensory input, formulate and test hypotheses, to resolve or mitigate workplace difficulties. Using the same reasoning ability to anticipate some needs before they arise or become problematic.
Basic understanding of MS Office and the ability to learn new programs.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and smell. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment can be in excess of 85db.
$19.50+ Benefits include paid company holidays, health and dental coverage at 51% after 60 days, a liberal beer sampling program, paid time off, 401(k) matching, an RTD bus pass and more. Additional health insurance coverage and additional paid time off are available with tenure.