Lead Cellar Person
Ipswich Ale Brewery
Apply for this Job
This position is responsible for managing the cellar and its employees, monitoring and maintaining the proper fermentation and lagering of all of the beer in the cellar. This includes tank and hose CIP, fermentation tracking through gravity and temperature, cropping tanks, racking, and carbonating beer from the fermenter to bright, carbonating to proper specs and ensuring all quality checks are met along the way. Additionally, this position is responsible for all cellar input and record keeping into Ekos.
The cellar person is an integral part of the brewing operations
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintain and operate all aspects of the cellar including the Rolec dry hopping, centrifuge, CIP, racking and carbonating beer, under safe and sanitary conditions.
- Ensure daily cellaring activities are completed in a timely manner, such as gravities, tank CIPs, carbs, environmental cleaning
- Perform CIPs, Quality checks, and record all data in Ekos.
- Maintain an awareness for all raw ingredients necessary for dry-hopping and alert the head brewer as required to maintain the brewing schedule.
- Manage inventory for chemicals needed for cleaning and sanitization.
- Crop Tanks, Dry Hops, Cellar Cleaning, Top scrubs.
- Assist in the brewhouse as needed.
- Record temps, pH, and gravity daily on brew log.
- Assist staff troubleshooting and occasional maintenance tasks.
- Identify opportunities for operational improvements.
- Schedule and supervise additional cellar employees.
- Work closely with the scheduling supervisor on timing/order of beer transfers.
- Work closely with packaging supervisor on daily packaging schedule.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- High School or Equivalent Required
- BA in a science or food science preferred.
- 5 years in Brewing or related field preferred.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently with limited direction and within a team environment.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of brewery Ekos brewery management software a bonus.
- Good attitude, work ethic, and positive approach.
- This position requires the ability to sit/stand/kneel, work on the floor, carry hoses, lift grain bags/hop boxes, and carry 50 lbs regularly.
- Noisy work environment with machinery
- Proper handling of chemicals is needed, hot water, steam, pressure, carbon dioxide.