Yards Brewing Company
Apply for this Job
Quality Assurance Technician
Yards Brewing Company is searching for a highly motivated Quality Assurance Technician in our QC/QA Lab. The role of Lab Technician is to conduct daily routine analysis on raw materials through finished product. This position will be responsible for completing daily tasks spanning the full spectrum of lab duties- microbiological testing, chemical analysis, and general laboratory tasks that are outlined below. The ideal candidate would possess the required experience while being self-motivated to learn new skills and take on responsibilities within a rapidly growing company. Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Measure end of fermentation testing: pH, DO, % alcohol
- Run chemical analysis on beer with spectrophotometer- VDK, IBU, SRM
- Perform yeast counts using Nexcelom Cellometer and traditional techniques.
- Complete daily microbiological sampling, using aseptic technique, of beer in process.
- Enter data into quality database in a timely and accurate manner.
- Complete weekly laboratory preparation – pour agar plates, prep reagents, autoclave glassware and filtration apparatus.
- Maintain a clean and organized lab.
- Clear brite tanks for DO, Carbonation, pH and sensory.
- Help set up and implement sensory testing.
- Participate in sensory training and panels.
- Prepare samples for PCR analysis.
- Aseptic filtration and micro plating of in-process and finished beer samples.
- Quickly communicate QC values that are out of specification to the Quality Manager.
- Lab Tech is also expected to be able to occasionally execute QA related research projects with the assistance of Senior Lab members and/or the Quality Manager.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- A passion for beer and dedication to quality and detail.
- B.S. in Chemistry, Biology or related disciplines.
- Brewing Sciences degree preferred or strong understanding of brewing process.
- This is an entry level position, but preference will be given to those with 1+ years of experience in a laboratory.
- Strong skills in multi-tasking and ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently.
- Competent in Office 365 suite including excel and word.
- Aptitude towards problem solving skills.
- Standing for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 45 lbs or more.
- Climbing ladders, routine stooping and bending.