2nd Shift Cellar Person
Apply for this Job
Wormtown Brewery is in search of an experienced cellar person. We are looking for an individual with a team-orientated mentality, extreme attention to detail, and a passion for producing world class beer of the highest quality. At least one year of experience in the brewing industry is necessary for consideration. If you have the drive to learn and adapt to an ever-changing work environment, we courage you to apply!
Job Description – 2nd Shift Cellar Person
Reports to: Lead Cellar/Head Brewer
The Cellar person is responsible for duties involved with fermentation and conditioning of beer. The cellar processes can affect the quality of our beer. Ensuring quality is the cellar person’s primary focus.
The Cellar person is responsible for cleaning and sanitizing fermentation and bright tanks, as well as transferring beer from tank to tank in an aseptic and efficient manner. The Cellar person is responsible for ensuring tank temperatures and pressures are correct for the specific process occurring and carbonation levels are appropriate for the style produced. In addition, the Cellar person is responsible for monitoring dissolved oxygen levels in fermenters and bright tanks. The Cellar person also cleans and sanitizes product lines and other equipment as well as the general working environment.
Attention to detail and working clean are top priorities.
Other duties of the cellar person include dry hopping, harvesting yeast, pitching yeast, cleaning the floors, outsides of tanks, miscellaneous parts, floor drains, cellar racks, parts buckets, blow-off buckets. Any task in the cellar deemed necessary.
The Cellar person should expect to work 40-45 hours per week, up to 10 hours per day is necessary depending on production schedule.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
· Come in prepared to work. Understand the day’s objectives by communicating with other cellar staff and Lead Cellar.
· Proper personal protective equipment worn during the entire shift.
· Confirm volume of CO2 before starting/continuing carbonation.
· Clean and sanitize hoses for transfers and dry hopping.
· Coordinate with packaging hose logistics and tank empty/ready ETAs.
· Transfer scheduled beers to the appropriate conditioning tanks.
· Clean and sanitize all tanks that are empty, dirty, and need cleaning.
· Coordinate with Lab/Head Brewer when to adjust tank temperatures.
· Communicate with the Lead Cellar when beer is at the appropriate carbonation level and ready to package.
· Cleaning, sanitizing, and storage of yeast brinks.
· Coordinate with lab when/where to harvest yeast and pitch rates.
· Coordinate with brewing team when/where to pitch yeast.
· Maintain accurate and detailed cellaring records.
· Communicate with all members of packaging and production teams to keep the day organized, running on time, and maintain a solid workflow.
· Assist in the cleaning of the cellar areas and washing of equipment, floors and tools to comply with cleanliness and sanitation standards.
· Follow all SOP and safety protocols
· Make observations of efficiencies and inefficiencies.
· Make recommendations for equipment and process with formal reports or e-mail.
· Contribute to improvements and processes required to gain efficiency and quality assurance in the cellar department.
· Contribute to the evolution of the production department.
· Complete special projects assigned by supervisors.
· Remain calm, flexible, and able to work through setbacks and emergencies.
· Ability to simultaneously coordinate a wide range of activities in a hectic and fast paced work environment
· Ability to know when to ask for help from other team members if help is needed to prevent mistakes and ultimately get the job done.
· Able to work through challenges by setting a professional and upbeat example.
· Communicate clearly with co-workers and managers, verbally and written.
· Frequent problem solving.
· Continued education through attending company sponsored events and utilizing online resources such as the Brewer’s Association.
· Register any issues or pertinent details for the next shift in the brewery logbook.
· Extreme attention to detail
· Actively supports Wormtown, team goals, objectives, and culture
· Consistently lift and carry 11 pounds and occasionally lift and carry 75 pounds to chest height.
· Frequent bending, stooping, pushing, lifting, kneeling, and reaching.
· Must be able to stand for an entire shift, up to 9 hours.
· Consistently able to use repetitive hand and wrist motion.
· Work safely with hot, cold, and hazardous equipment and materials.
· Climb stairs and ladders several times a day.
Frequent washing of hands.
Job Type: Full-time
We have deployed contact tracing technology where employees wear a bluetooth beacon as part of mandatory PPE that anonymously traces contact data in the event of a positive case.