Apply for this Job
Job Title: Head Brewer
Reports To: Director of Operations
Category: Exempt; Full-time
Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the essential duties and responsibilities listed below. The duties and responsibilities include the following, though other duties may be assigned. The Head Brewer is an energetic and team-oriented member of the Brew Detroit team with a passion for producing quality products. The Head Brewer is responsible for all aspects of brewing and cellar from grain to brite tank; coordinating production demands; maintaining brewery equipment; ensuring safety and sanitation protocols are practiced; supervising brewing staff; maintaining accurate records and associated administrative tasks; and participating in selected events.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all phases of producing products according to brewery formulas and standards. This includes pre-brew preparation, brewing, mixing, fermentation, cellaring, filtration, and packaging.
- Perform routine quality control on products throughout each brewing and cellar phase.
- Order/receive/manage/store raw materials (FIFO and customers inventory)
- Coordinate with production on brewing schedules with anticipated sales requirements
- Conduct and mange brewery ingredient inventory and depletion.
- Operate effectively within company and budgetary guidelines.
- Coordinate with Brew Master regarding issues and problems, recommend fixes.
- Brewing, filtering, and cellar experience in a production brewery.
- Knowledge of producing seltzer type mixing and filtration.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office programs as well as programs to track inventory.
- Operate forklift.
- Ability and willingness to maintain flexible work schedule.
- Participate in select beer festivals and events
- Maintain valid driver’s license.
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, walk, talk, hear, use hands to grasp, handle or feel, push, pull, reach, crouch, kneel, crawl or bend, lift overhead, and perform repetitive motions of hands and/or wrists.
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move objects weighing 55 pounds.
- Excellent mental and visual attention required for performing manual work, machine operations, set-ups, inspections, and adjustments that require frequent decisions to detect and adjust for variance during operation.