The Beer'd Brewing Company
Apply for this Job
The Beer’d Brewing Co. – Stonington, CT
Reports to Head Brewer
Full-Time (40 hrs)
Hourly Employee (non-exempt)
Beer’d Brewing was opened in 2012 with a three-barrel brewhouse focusing on hop forward Ales and has grown to produce 9,000 BBLs annually. With a taproom foreword approach The Beer’d Brewing Company also maintains a sizeable self-distribution model within Connecticut and partners with wholesalers for distribution in both Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
The Beer’d Brewing Company has two facilities one located in Stonington with a 15 bbl brewhouse and the second located in Groton with a 20 bbl brewhouse. This position will assist the Head Brewer and ensure implementation of all standard operating procedures to maintain consistency, quality, and efficiency throughout the production process. A thorough understanding of all aspects of beer production, including grain handling, yeast management, filtration, packaging and QA/QC is required.
The Brewer is responsible for performing a variety of fundamental and support tasks befitting a production brewery, including all cellar, packaging, canning, bottling, and general housekeeping operations, with assistance in brewhouse and maintenance duties as needed.
- Supports The Beer’d Brewing Co.’s Core Values and Focus
- Adheres to and advances the “Safety Always” culture of The Beer'd Brewing Company.
- Assists in and performs beer production operations, including cellar and laboratory processes, filtration, vessel CIP, and other beer production tasks.
- Assists in and performs packaging operations, including keg, canning, and bottle filling, labeling, palletizing, wrapping, and warehousing.
- Assists in and performs essential warehousing functions, including accepting and fulfilling shipments, and inventorying materials.
- Cleans and performs preventative maintenance on facilities and equipment as assigned.
- Supports fellow brewery staff in their respective responsibilities as assigned by the Lead Brewer.
- Maintain detailed records and quality control reporting.
- Maintain inventories of raw and finished goods.
- Represent Beer’d at industry technical events, conferences, and marketing events
- Assist in public tours, education, tastings, and interactions with brewery guests.
- Must become Cicerone Level 1 Certified Beer Server within six months of hire. If this is not achieved, a plan of action will be put in place.
- Additional duties may be assigned as necessary
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental and Physical Requirements
- The ability to work unsupervised while maintaining established safety and quality standards.
- A desire to learn and demonstrate best practices and assist in developing a quality-oriented standard of protocol in a new brewery setting.
- An understanding of Lock Out / Tag Out, Confined Space Entry, and other important core safety protocols.
- The capacity to manage multiple processes simultaneously and adapt to the irregularities of a shifting production schedule.
- Fastidious workmanship and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative attitude.
- Exemplary productivity and self-directedness.
- Stands, walks, crouches, and lifts regularly throughout the duration of shift, including continual dragging, carrying, and manipulation of hoses, pumps, parts, buckets, carts, tools, and reservoirs.
- Must be able to perform continues bending, twisting, stooping, reaching and lifting of moderate to heavy weight material up to 165lbs.
- Must be able to work standing for extended periods, up to 8 hours per day.
- Must be able to interpret specifications, convert tables and make calculations.
- Strong able to multitask.
- Ability to frequently communicate and smell.
- Ability to touch, move, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Prior experience on a minimum 15-barrel brewhouse in a full production brewery
- Experience working in a multi facility organization desired
- A minimum 5 years practical, professional brewing, packaging, maintenance, and quality control experience
- 2+ Years management and leadership experience required
- Experience creating, experimenting, and brewing multiple styles of beer
- Prior knowledge of barrel-aging and brewing sours is a plus
- In depth knowledge of yeast strains, hop varieties, grain varieties, grain roasts, etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and constantly changing work environment
- Writing and math skills are necessary to accurately complete a dilution calculation, volume, flow, density, weight, length, pressure and other unit conversions, calculate beer volumes/losses and alcohol content
- Strong work ethic and self-starter
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team collaboration
- High level of attention to detail and strong communication skills
- Solid working knowledge with brewery ERP systems (Ekos, Keg Id, Orchestrated Beer, etc)
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Some flexibility in hours is allowed, however employees are expected to be available during the “core” work hours of 8:00am- 5:00pm. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Must be open and able to travel by all methods. This position requires occasional travel to breweries and other taproom locations. Occasional travel outside the local area and overnight stays may be required.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The employee may work with hazardous materials and utilities.
- The employee works on wet floors and with wet equipment.
- The employee may at times work around high voltage, flame, hot water, steam, broken glass, and CO2 sources.
- The employee frequently works in a sanitary environment.
- The employee may sometimes work near moving mechanical parts.
The Beer’d Brewing Company is an equal opportunity employer, practicing equality of employment and advancement opportunities to all regardless of race, creed, color, national origin or ancestry, sex, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, learning disability, mental disability, physical disability, veteran status, or any other protected group status under federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment; including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absences, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation based on experience. Benefits include PTO, Paid Holidays, Health Insurance, 401(k) retirement plan and free beer.