Modern Times Beer
Apply for Job
TITLE: Brewer II
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Production Manager
THE BIG PICTURE
The Brewer II reports to the Production Manager and is responsible for all brewing and cellar operations. Candidates must share Modern Times’ commitments to quality, safety, business ethics, and continuous innovation.
THE EVERYDAY VIEW
- Safe handling of cleaning chemicals, gases, pressure vessels, hot liquor, etc., and general promotion of safety and quality culture within the brewery.
- Wort production and hopping, on the 15 bbl brewhouse including 20 bbl batches, to correct sugar and hop concentrations as dictated by the recipe/brew sheet
- Spent grain removal, which includes the use of motorized rakes and manual shoveling while not damaging brewhouse plumbing or spent grain totes or trash rooms
- Raw materials receipt, storage, and retrieval for brewing
- Milling up to 1,700 pounds in 50-55-pound bag increments, in accordance with a brew/recipe sheet, over approximately 35 minutes
- Using the associated equipment to fill or empty wooden casks, kegs, barrels, etc., and safely moving vessels on their storage rack with a forklift
- CLT/HLT troubleshooting, boiler troubleshooting, water management, perform BH Kettle sour
- Mash in on time according to schedule and tank availability
- Notify Production Manager if brewhouse targets cannot be hit
- Dry Hopping the prescribed amount of hops to a designated fermenter via the port of the FV.
- Yeast management, including the harvesting and /or pitching of yeast from the prescribed ferment/brink while following sanitary procedure.
- Transferring or filtering beer from fermenter to brite tank in a sanitary manner under balanced pressure, and correctly assembling/disassembling the inline filters.
- Assist in canning/kegging which includes cleaning/filling kegs, folding cases, and palletizing/depalletizing.
- Utilize C-box and zahm to ensure products are ready for packaging and communicate this information to management.
- Perform general cleaning of horizontal, vertical, and sub-grate surfaces.
- Perform CIP’s or CUP’s on fermentation vessels, brite tanks, and other cellar equipment.
- Proper use and upkeep of cellar parts and equipment including hoses, gaskets, pumps, etc.
- Maintain general knowledge of brewhouse operations and CIP’s
- Be a team player and able to interact with all levels within the organization
- Adhere to and enforce all applicable local, state, and federal laws, rules, and regulations
- Other tasks as needed
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Must be 21 years of age or older at the time of application
- Able to pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check
- Strong understanding of how to operate safely and maintain a safe working environment
- Minimum 2 years of commercial production brewery experience
- Strong work ethic and self-starting attitude
- Good interpersonal skills and team spirit
- Able to operate a forklift and pallet jack
- Ability to keep meticulous digital records via daily data entry
- Strong possession of common sense in all areas of work, including problem-solving and communication
- Strong interpersonal skills and a love for meeting and interacting with people
- Thorough attention to detail and desire to take initiative
- Must adhere to company’s policies and procedures
- The desire to work in a fast-paced, growing company
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Willingness to work any shift in a 24/7 production environment
- Able to stoop, crawl, twist, turn, lift, kneel, climb ladders and stairs
- Able to manipulate valves and clamps
- Able to stand, walk, and be on your feet for prolonged periods
- Able to read and follow written English instructions
- Able to regularly twist, turn, kneel, climb, stoop, bend, crawl, lift and carry supplies and equipment weighing up to 55
- pounds using appropriate techniques and tools
- Able to safely navigate the tasting room and snack bar areas, including crowded spaces
- Able to maneuver packages of any weight above 75 pounds with appropriate equipment and/or assistance
- Able to move 165-pounds, using appropriate techniques and tools
- Able to work in a factory/production environment that may be loud, slick, humid, cold, and hot
- Able to work in indoor and outdoor environments with moderate noise and occasionally slippery floors
- Able to comply with and enforce all health, safety, and personal hygiene policies and standards
**Applications accepted until the role has been filled**
Employee Benefits and Bonus Eligibility
- Modern Times is a partially employee-owned company, with 30% of our equity held in an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), guaranteeing employees the opportunity to earn equity in the company over time
- Health, Chiropractic & Acupuncture benefits (with a $247.00 per month employer contribution towards any plan)
- Dental benefits (with a 100% employer contribution option)
- Vision benefits (with a 100% employer contribution)
- Life insurance (with a 100% employer contribution)
- Long-term disability (with a 100% employer contribution)
- Unlimited paid time off (pending manager approval)
- Eligible to participate in 401(k)
- Eligible for a 2-month paid sabbatical after 5 years
- Radical beer and coffee perks
Full-time employees become eligible for health benefits on the first 1st after 30 days of employment (For instance, if your start date is May 15th, you’d be eligible for benefits July 1st).
ABOUT MODERN TIMES
Modern Times began as a 30bbl production brewery in the Point Loma neighborhood of San Diego. Modern Times is named after a beautifully crazy utopian community founded in 1850, and many of our beers are named after real utopian experiments or mythological utopias. Today, we're distributed throughout California, Nevada, Arizona, Maui, the Pacific Northwest, and select international markets. We operate a tasting room at the brewery, as well as in San Diego’s North Park community, and opened brewery/restaurant locations in Portland, Los Angeles, and Encinitas in 2018, Santa Barbara and Oakland in 2019, and Anaheim in 2020. We brewed our first batch on May 18th, 2013; our beer went on tap for the first time on June 24th, 2013; we held the soft opening for the Lomaland Fermentorium tasting room on August 9th, 2013; and our Grand Opening was September 7th, 2013.
In the summer of 2017, we became California’s first-ever employee-owned brewery, with 30% of the company now owned by our employees and the goal of 100% employee ownership in the future. We think that’s pretty radical.
Learn more at www.moderntimesbeer.com
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Modern Times Beer strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.