Brewery Operations Manager
Counter Weight Brewing
Apply for this Job
Job Title: Brewery Operations Manager
Job Location: Hamden, CT
Reports To: Owner
Position Type: Salary Exempt
Make great beer while being a positive force in our beer scene and community, provide excellent customer service, and have fun while doing it.
Counterweight Brewing is small brewery preparing for a move to a larger facility. We are focused on making well executed, high quality, thoughtfully brewed, cellared and packaged beers.
The Brewery Operations Manager is an integral role in the day-to-day operations of the brewery. They will be proficient in all areas of production brewing including, but not limited to, grain handling, brewhouse operations, yeast and fermentation management, dry hopping, packaging fundamentals, scheduling, cleaning/sanitizing, maintenance, and troubleshooting day to day challenges.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Maintain the integrity of all Counterweight beers
- Establish weekly and monthly objectives for production team
- Be prepared to handle any daily potential issues in the brewery (mechanical, staffing, process, etc.)
- Regularly review performance of staff, quality standards, and day to day operations.
- Always be looking for ways to make improvements in all areas of the brewery.
- Actively engage team members with all areas of production including packaging.
- Manage raw ingredient inventory including, but not limited to, grain, hops, yeast, adjuncts., etc.
- Order raw ingredients needed for brewing
- Manage inventory of chemicals needed for sanitation
- Order necessary chemicals
- Ensure all production staff adhere to Counterweight’s brewing principles and practices
- Ensure all production staff properly utilizes personal protective equipment when necessary and follow SOP’s.
- Maintain the brewing schedule
- Work closely with the owner, sales, and packaging leads to plan and strategize weekly, monthly, yearly, and long-term goals for Counterweight
- Schedule production staff to appropriately execute brewing schedule
- Communicate brewing schedule changes to necessary staff
- Ensure daily brewing activities are completed timely and properly including, but not limited to, milling, dry hopping, packaging, cleaning/sanitizing, stocking received goods, other activities necessary to smooth brewery operation
- Actively pursues new knowledge regarding the industry
- Complete and ensure production staff is filling out brewing, racking, packaging, walk-in, and any other necessary production sheets
- Take an active role in training new staff as well as making sure current staff are re-trained if necessary
- Create and maintain standard operating procedures and other documentation for a successful team
- Genuine enthusiasm and passion for beer and brewing.
- Knowledge and execution of sound brewing processes
- Computer proficiency (Excel, Word, email, internet usage)
- Strong communication skills
- Flexible availability
- Ability to become certified to operate forklift and pallet jack
- Ability to work well independently and on a team
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Mechanically Inclined
- Ability to multi-task effectively
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Common sense
- Inventory Management
- Ability to handle a number of different projects simultaneously
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to delegate
- Other functions as necessary
- Formal brewing education from an accredited program
- Minimum 5 years professional production brewing experience
- 2 years managerial experience
- Experience working in a brewery producing more that 15,000 BBLs annually
- Ability to repeatedly lift and move 55 lbs. above shoulder height
- Ability to frequently stand, walk, kneel, sit, stoop, climb, push, pull, and lift for extended periods of time
- Acute sensory abilities
- Ability to frequently talk, hear, and smell
- Ability to follow and effectively execute safety protocols, including use of personal protective equipment, and safe chemical handling procedures
- Ability to work in an environment with varying temperature, and noise levels
Competitive compensation will be based on experience and will include health, dental, and vision benefits, a 401K program with a safe harbor match (once eligible), five paid sick days, ten paid vacation days, and three paid volunteer days to start (pending introductory period, which may vary from employee to employee).
Equal Opportunity Employer
Counterweight Brewing strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
Counterweight Brewing is an at-will employer, meaning that either the employee or Counterweight Brewing are free to end the employment relationship at any time, with or without notice or cause.