Regional Sales Manager, Southern California
The Bruery, LLC
Apply for Job
About the Company:
The Bruery is a boutique craft brewery located in Orange County, CA. The company goes to market under three brand names; The Bruery, Bruery Terreux, and Offshoot Beer Co, each offering a high quality, unique offering. The Bruery specializes in barrel aged and experimental ales, Bruery Terreux is focused on innovative wild and sour ales, and Offshoot Brewing Co. is the company’s newest brand that focuses on a rotational hop-forward offering.
The company has built a strong following among a passionate base of customers, and more than half of The Bruery’s overall sales are direct-to-consumer through the company’s society membership programs and Orange County tasting rooms. The company selectively distributes its products to a network of distributors across the U.S. with a focus on craft beer-centric retail and restaurant accounts.
Founded as a small, family-run business in 2008, The Bruery takes its unique moniker from founder Patrick Rue’s family surname.
Patrick picked up home brewing as a hobby, which later became an obsession, as a distraction from the banality of law school. Early on, while driving his wife Rachel mad with the messes that he would leave on the kitchen stove, Patrick was winning awards for his beers. Upon finishing school, he took it upon himself to draft a business plan for The Bruery rather than study for the California Bar exam – a risky endeavor that still shows through today in the creative, genre-tilting beers that The Bruery prides itself on.
The Bruery was founded on the excitement that Patrick felt in his early years of homebrewing and continues to strive for that same passion in every aspect of its business today. The company has never stopped challenging itself to develop distinctive and imaginative beers, and constantly pursues improvement. The Bruery produces dozens of original beers each year with a perpetually growing list of ingredients and inspirations . Nearly half of The Bruery’s beer is aged in wine or spirit barrels bringing forth flavors reminiscent of the Belgian countryside or classic American distillers.
About the Role:
This position is on the front line of our business, requiring close collaboration with our distributors, accounts & customers in Southern California, with specific focus on Los Angeles & San Diego counties. Your primary goal is to sell our world-class beers by creating and fostering relationships with those distributors, accounts, and customers, and by educating those parties on The Bruery and Offshoot Beer Co. brands (“The Bruery brands”) and our wide variety of beer offerings. Using interpersonal skills, you will build our brand through the execution of a sales and marketing plan for the territory. You will plan, organize, and control sales functions from conceptual state through distribution cycles to optimize profit and meet marketing, financial, and corporate growth objectives.
Essential Duties (include but are not limited to the following):
- Assist in the development of annual territory sales plans for achieving budgeted sales figures; approach the territory with entrepreneurial eyes to seek out new opportunities to increase sales and penetration.
- Regularly visit key accounts throughout assigned territory to build and maintain relationships with buyers/decision-makers. Educate account staff regarding our brands and products and find opportunities to sell-in new products.
- Perform research to stay in-the-loop regarding account openings & staffing changes; actively seek out & target new prospective accounts.
- Utilize VIP and/or distributor route accounting software to identify opportunities, analyze sales and gain business & sales insights.
- Coach direct report/s on how to prospect new business by determining focus areas within territory, set up presentations, and utilize stop-by techniques.
- Manage account database (Karma) for assigned territory, including pipeline of prospective accounts, and assist with updating contact lists for account & distributor communications.
- Build and maintain relationships with distributor sales reps and managers to drive partnership in assigned territory to maximize communication and increase focus on our portfolio.
- Educate distributor personnel about our brands and products through regular in-person, phone and email communications, as well as scheduling and presenting at sales meetings.
- Schedule and perform regular in-market meetings and ride-alongs with distributor sales staff.
- Supply distributors and accounts with marketing materials, and assist the marketing team to develop more focused materials as needed.
- Gather category and market intel and feedback from distributors, accounts and customers in assigned territory; communicate back to The Bruery distribution & marketing teams.
- Plan, arrange events at accounts and work with distributors and The Bruery distribution, marketing & warehouse teams to effectively promote and successfully prepare for and run those events.
- In coordination with distribution & marketing teams, develop unique educational plans, materials & presentations for distributors, accounts and customers.
- Identify unique events and opportunities for The Bruery brands to showcase our products, including but not limited to premier beer festivals and events focused on music, food & wine.
- Represent The Bruery brands in an enthusiastic and respectful manner with distributors, accounts, and customers.
- Perform merchandising at accounts during visits, as appropriate.
- Maintain self-education on The Bruery brands and the craft beer industry in general, including applicable laws & regulations.
- Promptly reply to all emails & phone calls and escalate issues appropriately.
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred) or equivalent work experience
- Five or more years of proven sales management experience
- Ability to build and maintain customer relationships
- Knowledge of state & federal alcohol laws & regulations
- Passion for & deep knowledge of craft beer. Certified Cicerone preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively & with excellent customer service skills, both orally and in writing
- Exceptional public speaking and presentation skills
- Self-motivated & able to work without direct oversight
- Proficient in Mac OS, Google Drive, Microsoft Office, database programs, VIP and CRM software
- Ability to bend over, twist, kneel, climb stairs, stand for the duration of a shift, lift 55+ pounds repeatedly, reach with hands and arms, sit, kneel, or crouch
- This role requires flexible hours due to participation in promotional events. Nights and weekends will be required
- Travel to and participation in trade shows and beer related events as required
- Must furnish own vehicle and drivers license with a clean motor vehicle record
- Travel up to 80% of time across Southern California
- Drivers license with a clean motor vehicle record
- Must live within Orange County/LA/Riverside area
Company Benefits Offered:
- Unlimited Paid Vacation
- Competitive Compensation
- Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Coverage
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Retirement Savings Plan 401(k)
- Education Reimbursement
- Paid Volunteering
- Matching Charitable Contributions
Check out more about us here: https://www.thebruery.com/pages/about-us
The Bruery, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pre-employment background check required.