Vice President of Night Shift Distributing
Night Shift Brewing
Apply for Job
At Night Shift Brewing, we aim to craft better beverages. The ideal candidate will join the leadership team of our fast growing Boston area brewery and multi-state distribution business.
The Vice President of Night Shift Distributing will oversee our wholly owned distribution business in MA & CT. As a brewery owned wholesaler, we have a different viewpoint on what it means to partner with great craft suppliers. We might have the heart of a brewer but aim to be a successful world class wholesaler who is on pace to do 1 million cases of beer annually.
To be successful, the candidate must have proven success in sales, distributor management, forecasting, product marketing (understand how to tell stories and connect with consumers), as well as be effective in engaging a sales team. The VP of NSD is responsible for creating sales goals and KPIs that ladder up to meet the overall business objectives and growth targets.
Winning at this level will require the candidate to be an outside-the-box thinker and someone willing to challenge the status quo. It is also important that the person be a mentor to their peers and direct reports, encouraging collaborations and knowledge-sharing. The candidate must also be responsible for the financial budget within both the distribution and sales organization ensuring that they drive real impactful return. The position reports directly to the President/Co-Founder and works in close partnership with other department leaders. Expected activities will range from boots-on-the-street customer engagements, direct face-to-face interactions with accounts, chains, distributors, suppliers and sales reps, as well as managerial tasks. Travel, work-withs, nights, and weekends are part of the role.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement sales strategies, tools, goals, and methods that support all suppliers and overall business objectives
- Maintain a close pulse on the marketplace for craft beer, alcoholic beverages at large, as well as non-alcoholic products in order to identify key opportunities and challenges on the road ahead.
- Consistently assess the effectiveness and impact of marketing on sales goals
- Develop and execute an evolving supplier marketing plans. Driving the team to implement the POS and displays in the field.
- Collaborate with other department leaders to plan, assess, and achieve company objectives and product pipeline
- Plan, execute and optimize NSD’s geographic wholesale accounts and delivery routes.
- Designs sales strategies that align with suppliers KPI to increase share of mind, points of distribution, and sales velocity
- Optimize wholesaler marketing funds as a tool to meet and exceed Revenue ($), Category Mix (%) and Placements in Key Accounts (% of target list) goals
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key accounts & chains to maximize value for the buyer and the NSD brands.
- Develop and maintain the highest quality standards of retail executions in order to deliver annual sales goals.
- Maximize brand awareness and seek opportunities to collaborate with others via sponsorships or partnerships
- Constantly evaluate the product mix, pack types, skus, price points of our product lines. Seek ways to ensure profitability while also driving long term growth.
- Develop future growth, new suppliers, and market expansion strategies.
- Regularly analyze brands health using various tools, focus groups, data, and insights to ensure the portfolio continues to be competitive in the market.
- Ensure freshness & quality standards of products are met in the warehouse and marketplace
- Manage the warehouse, maintain proper inventory levels, and ensure freshness
- Hold the team accountable for deadlines & sales targets while ensuring the work is of the best quality to rise against the noise.
- Provide consistent feedback through employee check-ins. Deliver annual performance reviews to support employee goals, performance, and behavioral expectations.
- Ensure the sales and warehouse teams are provided with the necessary support materials, tools and supplies to effectively and efficiently run routes.
Education & Experience:
- 15+ years of experience in progressively responsible sales and marketing roles within the beverage/alcohol industry
- Proven success growing beverage sales to a minimum of 1 million cases sold
- Extensive team leadership and management experience
- Previous experience working directly for a company founder/president
- Proven ability to create high growth sales team that exceed industry averages
- Demonstrable experience designing and implementing successful marketing campaigns
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills proven ability to think outside the box
- Strong relationships and network amongst retailers (deep chain grocery experience is a must).
- Proven experience optimizing pricing and margin structures (including laid-in-costs, supplier participation, etc.) to meet and exceed gross margin targets
- Thrive in a fast evolving, always changing environment
- Demonstrated knowledge in using data, research, and consumer insights to drive decision making
- Successfully manage suppliers, sales team, warehouse team and delivery team
- Support your team and help teach, mentor and grow individuals in their careers at NSB
- Ability to think strategically with creative, profitable results
- Exceptional ability to make difficult decisive decisions in complex environments
- Exceptional ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects within deadlines
- Ability to translate high level ideas into actionable plans
- Exceptional communication skills including, but not limited to, written, spoken, presentation, interpersonal, and rapport-building
- Ability to analyze, understand and communicate KPIs critical to NSD's goals and success
- Strong analytical, technical, and process improvement skills
- Exceptional computer skills including experience with Google Drive, VIP, Encompass, IRI, Lilypad, and more
- Demonstrate trust, respect, and a drive for continuous self-improvement
- Goal, process, and timeline-oriented
- Creative, curious thinker. Always learning.
- Practice critical, proactive, universal attention to detail
- Carry a strong sense of grounded optimism, curiosity, and commitment to fun
- Collaborate, communicate, and succeed as a team
- Strategic mindset
- Work with a focused balance of urgency and patience
- Unquestionable character including honesty, trustworthiness, and integrity during adverse conditions