Brewing Manager - Pilot Room
Highland Brewing Company
Apply for this Job
Job Title: Brewing Manager - Pilot Room
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Brewery Director
The Brewing Manager – Pilot leads the Pilot Brewery production of Small Batch beers for the Taproom and the creation of new recipes for the Highland Brand family. Along with the Brewery Director, this role will support new product development and scale-up efforts for Production recipes. Along with the Quality Manager, this role will provide support and guidance for the ongoing improvement of the brewery quality programs.
- Beer – Oversee Pilot Brewery production, new beer design, and raw material sourcing
- Business – Formulate recipes, support production scale-up and continuous improvement efforts
- People – Manage Pilot Room staff. Train and educate staff on ingredients, techniques, and processes
- Place – Lead efforts on brewery hygiene, sanitation, and organization
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Lead and develop Pilot Brewery staff while assisting in scheduling and planning for Pilot Brewery production and yearly output to support Small Batch sales
- Oversee recipe development and strategize for continuous improvement on beers produced for onsite as well as distribution
- Use and refine the new product development process
- Produce new recipes and products for both Small Batch and Production brands that meet budget requirements working with Controller, Quality Manager, Sales, and Brewing Manager- Production
- Align objectives with the Department budget for relevant areas. Manage equipment purchasing decisions with Technical Service Manager, staffing, and sourcing of raw materials in line with the Production budget.
- Ensure the quality and consistency of all beers exceed our customers’ expectations and assist in troubleshooting and remedy of problems should they arise.
- Work closely with suppliers for raw materials ensuring best quality ingredients are used and sustainable quality is delivered.
- Ensure good communication, promoting positive culture and relationships across our company and supplier base
- Ensure employees are working in a safe environment.
- Up to date with industry trends and research
- Stays current with industry best practices to be a technical resource within Beer Production.
- Degree in Brewing Science another relevant field
- Management experience with direct reports
- Minimum 3 years of beer R&D and product development
- Minimum 5 years in beer production
- Strong entrepreneurial initiative.
- Experience working with budgets
Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understanding of fermentation science and the elements of brewing
- Knowledge of American Society of Brewing Chemists standard analysis
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems related to product and/or equipment
- Ability to perform under pressure and prioritize multiple demands
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of recipes, processes, procedures, and other internal information
- Ability to work both independently and within a team
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- An excellent team player
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and do physically demanding work is required.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. is required.
- Willingness to work on and around potentially dangerous equipment/machinery is required.
- Willingness to work in an environment with high noise levels is required
- Willingness to occasionally work events on evenings and weekends is required