National Sales Director
Toppling Goliath Brewing Co.
Apply for Job
Toppling Goliath Brewing Company (TG) houses a 100-barrel Steinecker Model Brewing system, Krones high-speed canning and bottling lines and a destination taproom located in beautiful Decorah, Iowa. We are a family-owned, team-oriented company working together to create perfection in the craft brewing industry while creating a world-class customer experience through our beer, food, and the way we celebrate our customers. We are currently recruiting for a National Sales Director. This Leader will be of high energy, who is tenacious, detail and process-oriented, and an exceptionally strong communicator. This individual should be a masterful executor who can deliver extraordinary and predictable results, with a track record for meeting and exceeding sales goals. This individual will report directly to the GM and collaborate directly with the owners and key leaders. If you are skilled in the sales of craft beer, passionate about aligning with a world-class brewery, enjoy fueling innovation and serving the needs of a growing company, we would enjoy meeting you!
Essential Functions: Sales Leadership and Collaboration
Ideal candidates will demonstrate the following:
- A passion for servant leadership with the ability to influence and educate the sales team with this philosophy.
- Relentless focus on leadership potential within our sales team.
- Unquestionable character including honesty, trustworthiness, and integrity during adverse conditions.
- Desire to extend yourself for the improvement of the TG team.
- Ability to coach, influence and continually develop the sales team to achieve extraordinary results.
- Exceptional emotional intelligence with communication and conflict management in stressful situations.
- Ability to influence and communicate TG objectives with high enthusiasm.
- Establish metrics and targets, as well as a performance monitoring system for the following areas:
- Retail: On and off-premises
- Corporate and key accounts
- Develop current sales team and recruit new team members in the development of a national and regional framework.
Ideal candidates will collaborate with the following:
- Owners to ensure company goals and visions are being met.
- General Manager in developing communication systems focused on continuous information flow of marketing, innovation needs, and industry trends.
- Corporate Account Director in developing a national corporate account framework including future distribution alignment, one-year volume projections, and TG resource needs.
- Marketing Director to launch creative sales and marketing programs on a regional and national level. Collaborate on the development of regional and national marketing budget.
- Training and Development Director in the implementation of recruitment, orientation, and on-going sales training systems.
Distributor and Corporate Account Relationship-Building
- Utilize relationships within the 3-tier system to ensure TG brands are shipped, stored, and sold in a manner consistent with our vision and distribution agreements.
- Determine market share potential in current markets while identifying new territories and distributors in alignment with our brands and vision.
- Utilize syndicated data and VIP reporting to inform decision-making within TG, distributors, and corporate accounts.
- Lead annual business plan (ABP) process and collaborate with the sale team on target development and tactics necessary to meet targets. Enhance current ABP performance monitoring process to encourage rewarding above-target numbers, and action-planning against below target numbers.
- Develop a travel cadence for in-market visits with the sales team, distributors, and corporate accounts.
- Utilize the TG brewery and taproom to host key accounts and current/potential distributor partners.
- Enhance current standard work surrounding new distributor and territory launches.
- Provide weekly and monthly reports, which outline performance against sales targets.
- Facilitate and establish a cadence for on-site/virtual sales meetings for the purposes of training, collaboration, and improvement.
- Enhance TG-distributor communication system for the following purposes:
- Efficiently funnel demand via Orchestrated Beer to our scheduling and operations team.
- Evaluate key performance indicators to encourage a just-in-time inventory flow.
- Collaborate with supply chain and finance in developing monthly forecasting to inform accurate production planning.
- Proficient in VIP, Excel, Word, Power Point tools. Proficiency in the use of syndicated data tools and Orchestrated Beer is preferred.
- Understanding of state-specific alcohol laws and how they are applied to the 3-tier system.
- Understand company pricing and product programming information by maintaining accurate and up to date records.
- Prepare and present professional sales presentations by combining both the company’s priorities and customers’ needs.
- An intimate understanding of the craft beer scene and where TG can enhance it.
- Exceptional project management skills in relation to:
- Monitoring and execution of ABP goals.
- Execution of marketing tactics as defined by TG and ABP marketing plans.
- Achieving key corporate account deadlines.
This position is based out of Decorah, Iowa. This role routinely operates in an office environment.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
- Full-time position
- Monday through Friday with ability to work evening and weekend events
- Must be able to travel on average 50% of scheduled time
- Current, valid driver's license with a clean driving record and current insurance
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Sales, or relative major is preferred
- Minimum of four years sales experience, with craft brewing industry sales preferred
- Knowledge and compliance of legal requirements regarding the sale and delivery of alcoholic beverages
- Resume required; portfolio that provides evidence of successful sales experience preferred
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Toppling Goliath Brewery is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.