Brewery in New Hampshire Lakes Region
Apply for this Job
We are an existing 200bbl brewery looking to grow. (7bbl electric system with an 800bbl capacity). We are looking for a talented, experienced Head Brewer to lead our brewing operations and push the envelope of industry norms. An individual with passion and vision for growth! Our Head Brewer must have the industry know-how and confidence to brew a broad and balanced lineup that includes traditional German styles, hazy IPAs, sours, high gravity stouts, a house-seltzer option, and other fun and creative styles. Our Head Brewer must become a key player capable of actively leading and networking throughout the craft brewing industry. They will represent our brand, collaborate with other brewers, and extend our marketing reach as a relevant entity. They must have an infectiously positive outlook, seeing possibilities where others see problems and obstacles.
As the Head Brewer, you will be responsible not just for beer production and brewhouse operations, but also be part of defining the way we enjoy and appreciate craft beer. The Head Brewer will work with ownership to take the helm to ensure our core beers and new releases are of the highest quality and ready to be enjoyed in our restaurant or local stores. Creativity is a must!
What you will be Doing:
- Manage the entire brewing process; must be able to run and manage a full brew day.
- Develop Brew schedule. Manage and scheduling for brewing tasks.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the brewery, i.e., kegging, cleaning, bottling, canning, etc.
- Quality Control and Management – Keep daily barrel and brew records
- Manage assistant brewer.
- Select and order raw materials to be used throughout the brewing process, i.e., grain, hops, yeast, chemicals, cooperage, equipment
- Manage, monitor and maintain inventory based on recipe formulation and needs,
- Manage maintenance schedule of brewhouse and equipment, i.e., have familiarity with VFD pumps, heat exchangers, butterfly valve rebuilds, regulator repair, etc.
- Research and Develop new recipes to meet the market demands and trends
- TTB and ABC filings and compliance
- Manage Hop Contracts
- Maintain safety and health standards. Be familiar with quality control standards and understand sanitation and cleaning procedures in detail.
- Meet with trade associations, i.e., Brewers Guild, local government officials, health departments, etc.
- Availability to assist in taproom and be a positive representative of the brewery festivals and events
What are the Working Conditions:
- Flexible to work a non-conventional schedule as business needs arise.
- Position requires standing for long periods of time (up to 12 hours), bending, stooping, and lifting objects, products and material that may weigh up to 170 pounds
- Routine pushing, pulling, reaching, upper body and arm rotation, arm extension, and climbing ladders
- High noise levels in/around brewing area, and in the taproom
What is the Schedule:
- Up to you! We just have to make great beer!
What Skills You Need:
- Professional brewing experience – 3 years minimum
- Head brewer experience a plus
- A diploma or certificate in Brewing/Fermentation Science or a related field from an accredited institution helps too
- Ability to work with others and receive constructive criticism and feedback.
- Knowledge of all aspects of brewing and related equipment.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Highly organized with keen attention to detail
- Focused problem-solver with the ability to stay calm and work under pressure and deadlines
- A strong work ethic and a desire to succeed.
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve.
What does the Job Pay and What are the Benefits:
- Pay – DOE
- Ownership Opportunity