Head of Production
Camino Brewing Co.
Apply for this Job
Head of Production
Camino Brewing Company is hiring a Head of Production. We are an upcoming brewery in San Jose, CA that, together with our distribution partner, is expanding our reach in the South Bay and beyond. Inspired by our founders’ journey across the Camino de Santiago in Spain, where people from all over the world come together to journey by foot or by bicycle towards a common destination, at Camino Brewing we say “Beer Brings Strangers Together,” and we set out each day to create a welcoming, and inclusive space where people from diverse backgrounds and experiences can come together to celebrate life’s journey together. As a small, local brewery, we are committed to our community and to providing a quality product. At Camino it’s all hands on deck, and so this is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to advance in the industry, to learn a lot about brewery operations, and to become an integral part of a tightknit group.
Job Title: Head of Production
Reports to: Ownership
Job Description: Upon successful completion of our training program, which includes cultural training as well as technical training, the Head of Production will be responsible for managing all aspects of beer production and packaging. This includes (but is not limited to) being primarily responsible for brewing, creating and maintaining production calendars, EKOS software, developing and improving brewing and cellar SOPs and safety standards, packaging, troubleshooting production issues, staff beer education, and preparing for rapidly expanding growth at the current and future locations. The Head of Production will be a technical expert for all daily brewery operations, and will be expected to collaborate on product development with ownership. This is a big role in a small company, and the Head of Production will serve as an ambassador of the company in various industry functions and events as needed. If you can help us build a culture of quality and community, work well independently and as a teammate, then please consider applying. A willingness to learn and a commitment to clean, clear communication is key. This position reports directly to ownership and meets weekly with our management team.
Hours: Full-time, salaried position. We are looking for someone with a flexible schedule who is willing to work occasional weekends.
Salary and Benefits: DOE
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and operate our 10 bbl brewhouse and related equipment.
- Ensure daily brewing activities are completed timely and properly including, but not limited to, milling, dry hopping, packaging, cleaning/sanitizing, ordering and stocking goods, other activities necessary to smooth brewery operation
- Maintain a complex production schedule, in collaboration with the Director of Brewing Operations and other team managers to meet sales demand.
- Maintain the integrity and “true to brand” profile of all our core Apponaug Brewing Company beers and formulate new recipes for beers to be sold in both our taproom and for distribution.
- Manage all consumables required in brewing operations. Ensure all raw ingredients (grain, hops, yeast, adjuncts, cellar consumables) are available per the brewing schedule in order to ensure no production shortages or stoppages.
- Manage inventory for chemicals needed for cleaning and sanitizing
- Troubleshooting and occasional maintenance tasks.
- Creates and sustains all brewery and cellar training programs, monitors progress, and ensures documentation is complete and accurate.
- Develop connection between taproom and production, including through front of house beer education.
- Directly responsible for maintaining Camino’s quality standards in all areas of production, cellar, and packaging.
- Maintain a safe work environment in the cellar and brewery, and actively promote a culture of safety.
- Maintain a sanitary and micro-biologically stable work environment through CIP (Clean in Place) and SIP (Sanitize in Place) procedures and solid general housekeeping practices in collaboration with ownership. Holds brewery staff accountable for maintaining such an environment.
- Create, improve, maintain and enforce Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Advocates for and maintains a culture of quality and continuous improvement in all brewery operations.
- Conduct critical assessment of Camino’s beers through quality control procedures from raw materials to end consumer.
- Maintain an accurate product inventory system.
- Facilitate future growth of the brewery through continuous optimization of current processes, installation of new equipment, preventative maintenance, and implementation of new brewery systems and procedures.
- Collaborate with ownership on new product development.
- Develop brewery staff to full potential.
- Yeast handling, including laboratory cell counts, pitching, propagation, harvesting, and cropping yeast.
- Monitor fermentations including routine analysis of in-process beer.
- Executing dry hopping, fining, and all other cold-side additions.
- Setup and tear-down of hard and soft piping assemblies.
- Carbonate beer and prepare it for packaging.
- Continual lifting, dragging, carrying, and manipulating of hoses, parts, pumps, buckets, kegs, and reservoirs, requiring standing, walking, crouching, and lifting regularly throughout the duration of shift
- Perform routine preventative maintenance on equipment and infrastructure in collaboration with ownership and brewing team.
- Packaging beer in kegs, cans, and bottles.
- Represent Camino Brewing Company both at the brewery and at off-site events.
- Keg washing.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends,
- Minimum two to five years of professional brewing experience
- Experience with EKOS, Excel, and XERO or similar production, inventory, and accounting systems.
- A thorough knowledge of, and ability to execute, sound brewing processes. (Including but not limited to brewing/process equipment including: malt milling equipment, brewhouse equipment, and cellar equipment.) Formal brewing education, training, certifications, or accreditation are a plus.
- Skills and/or aptitude for applicable to general maintenance functions, including mechanical, and electrical are a plus.
- Genuine enthusiasm for beer and hospitality, and desire to continue learning
- Possess acute sensory abilities to ensure beer quality
- Strong communication skills including an understanding of how to communicate effectively with
- customers, staff and management
- Ability to work well independently and on a team
- Strong adherence to SOP’s and best practices
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task effectively
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Common sense
- A valid driver’s license
- Desire to be an ambassador of the brand and an advocate of our company’s culture and values in the broader craft beer community.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. We strongly encourage women, BIPOC, and other underrepresented communities in the craft beer industry to apply for this job. If interested, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line "Head of Production."