Head Brewer Needed in Central PA. Unique Scenario with Great Opportunities!
Bald Birds Brewing
Apply for this Job
Bald Birds Brewing is an established brewery in the Southeastern Pennsylvania region with 2 location in the Philadelphia Metro area. We are currently staffing for our new contract production facility/ partner brewing hub opening in Summer of 2020 among the beautiful mountains of Central Pennsylvania.
Specifically we are looking for an experienced Head Brewer to lead wort production operations and execute all brewery processes as needed. We are currently receiving equipment for our new 150,000sq. ft. industrial space in Jersey Shore, PA— just outside the city of Williamsport, and less than 1 hour east of State College and Penn State University. We are looking to begin interviewing candidates for our foundational management team as we prepare for operations to begin soon. We will operate a 30bbl 5-vessel NSI brewing system, brewing into 30 bbl, 60 bbl, 90 bbl, and 120 bbl fermenters, processing beer with a GEA Westfalia Centrifuge, a rotary canning line capable of processing 100 cans per minute, and a kegging plant capable of cleaning, sanitizing, and filling 60 x 1/3 bbl kegs per hour!
The Head Brewer will be responsible for the daily management, execution, and oversight of all wort production processes, ingredient and raw material management, yeast propagation and management, basic lab work and QC control, recipe conversion and scaling, dry-hopping and hop management, cross-training staff, assisting with the overall planning of production and operational schedules, and of course client relations when necessary. This role is critical to the success and consistency of our brewing facility, and will work closely with our Director of Brewing Operations, Cellar Director, Packaging Team, Warehouse Team, and the entire Administrative management team. The Head Brewer will also be responsible for on-going management and training of brewery staff on a day-to-day basis. We are looking for applicants who have significant experience working in a similarly sized brewery in a similar role. This is NOT an entry-level position. It's an excellent opportunity for someone willing and interested in developing themselves professionally at an exciting new brewery working with some very interesting brands and methods.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- At least 7 years of experience working in breweries of various styles and size
- Must have a deep understanding of brewing philosophy, and process flow
- At least 4 years experience as a Head Brewer with managerial experience- 2 years of which operating a 20bbl or larger brewing system and producing 5,000 bbls or more per year .
- Must have a High School Diploma. Those with brewing, microbiology, or engineering degrees will NOT be given preference without the above hands-on experience as well.
- Experience operating electric and propane forklifts and/or the ability to learn safe operations of same
- Significant mechanical aptitude with the ability to troubleshoot basic mechanical and electrical systems
- Inherently maintain the highest standards of quality, attention to detail, and cleanliness. Must work clean, not just clean at the end of the day
- Clear and well-developed communication skills and strong ability to work in a team and/or independent environment
- Ability to lead and set an example of quality standards for the entire company
- Experience creating and implementing documents such as brewery SOPs, brew logs, etc.
- Ability to meet the physical challenges of working in a production brewery
- Experience with rotary canning systems, centrifuge operations, and mixed culture fermentation a huge plus
- Knowledge of chemicals used in operations/cleaning cycles and how to handle and use them safely
- Proficient at yeast management procedures including cell density and viability counts, yeast harvesting and propagating
- Experience working successfully with mixed cultures and wild yeasts
- Competent skills and experience with MS Excel, Google Drive, and brewery management software
- Ability to work unsupervised while maintaining safety, efficiency, and quality standards
- Cross-Train in all departments
- Self-motivated and dependable with good time-management skills and serious critical thinking abilities
- Must have strong Self-Accountability and embrace being held accountable to the entire team as well
- Ability to work under pressures of rapidly fluctuating schedules while still meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a diverse team environment and to leave all egos outside of the workplace
- Extremely strong organizational skills
- Must have a positive attitude and want to be a part of a team that truly works together, not one that just pays lip-service to the concept
- An innate drive to expand skill sets and to gain new knowledge
- The objectivity to know that there are things you do not know and to take direction when necessary
- A work ethic which does not require constant re-motivation
- A creative outlook and approach to solving problems and generating new ideas— we don't want robots!
- The ability to lift 25kg over your head
- The ability to lift 80kg to waist level
- The ability to push/pull 80kg on the ground
- The rare and mystical ability to be truly organized and to return every tool or piece of equipment back to the exact place you found it!
This is a full time position that includes an extremely competitive salary and benefits package (health, dental, vision, possible equity, beer perks, etc) and the opportunity to find a place on a team of genuinely invested people. If interested please send Resume and answers to the following questions in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. If you could only use one hop for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
2. Who is Ron Jeffries (of beer industry fame) and why should we care?
3. What inspired you to want to brew beer professionally?
4. What is your favorite styloe of German beer, and why?
We are looking forward to hearing from you!