Director of Sales - Western US
Brewer's Supply Group
Apply for Job
Brewer’s Supply Group (BSG), a subsidiary of Rahr Corporation, supports the craft beer, wine and distilling industries as a one-stop shop for industry related supplies and ingredients. Rahr Corporation (Rahr) is a family-owned global leader in the production and distribution of barley malt and related brewing supplies in operation since 1847. In support of long-term growth and sustainability, the Director of Sales participate in and manage the effort to generate sales for the products offered by BSG Craft Brewing product groups. This activity is to be conducted diligently in an effort to produce enough new profitable business to ensure the growth and profit goals of the company, as well as, contact and maintain existing accounts to review their needs. The Director of sales shall work closely with the President and Vice President and maintain orderly and consistent contact with Regional Sales Managers. The Director of Sales is to perform, either directly or indirectly, those activities necessary to achieve stated sales goals and objectives and obtain maximum profitability. They will contribute to the formulation, development and implementation of new sales and marketing strategies.
Team Coach. Sales Leadership. Developing People.
If these are the cornerstones of your career, the Director of Sales position at Brewers Supply Group may be a great next step for you! Our company is quickly expanding and we are seeking an up and coming Sales Director to lead, mentor, and coach our Western U.S. sales team. Our Craft Brewing product groups are growing every year, and we're looking for the right Leader to set direction for our sales team and help us exceed our goals. This role is perfectly positioned for the current sales manager that is passionate about engaging their team and driving success. Your energy will and enthusiasm will be both welcomed and rewarded. Are you intrigued and ready for the challenge? Read on for more details.
What You'll Do:
Reporting directly to the Vice President of Sales, you will lead, motivate, and develop our talented sales managers as they continue to grow our business-to-business sales. Located out of your home office in the Western Region, you will regularly interface with the executive leadership team and Director peers of our other five divisions of BSG. Working closely with the Regional Sales Managers, your mission is to achieve our goals and increase company profitability. Your responsibilities will include identifying business opportunities, developing strategies, and planning, developing and tracking sales activities (extra credit for Salesforce.com experience) in your assigned area. You will understand the market and the latest competitive trends in order to develop sales initiatives, priorities and quotas for continued growth of our product lines. We estimate up to 35% travel for this role to attend trade shows and to interact with your sales teams and / or our clients. What helps set you apart is your honed leadership qualities as you will be the expert resource to our sales team. Equally as important is your proven ability and prior success with process improvement and the implementation of sales best practices. Recruit, hire, train, and review the performance of your direct reports as you guide them to their next level of success.
What You'll Bring:
- A track record of hiring, leading, and mentoring high-performing sales professionals
- A Bachelor's Degree in Business or Marketing is preferred; however, proven sales management success may offset the need for a business degree
- Experience in our industry is not required, but a passion for what we do is necessary
- If this sounds like the opportunity you have been seeking for your next career step, please apply online today for our thoughtful consideration.
- The Director of Sales must have the resolve to maintain goals, objectives, and underlying principles of the company in spite of personality conflicts or individual personal concerns of employees although common sense and appropriate compassion should prevail
- Ability to identify business opportunities and concerns with the ability to develop appropriate strategies to address each
- This position requires a self-starting, motivated person who possesses strong interpersonal skills and the ability work with support personnel
- This is a dynamic position; it requires an individual who is goal oriented and is committed to the company
- Plan, develop, execute, and track sales activities in the assigned territory and actively participate in organizing the sales efforts of the sales managers in the reporting territories
- Conceptualize and present effective systems, plans, and policies that bring a structured approach to achieving the sales goals of the group
- Create a best practice sales process for all business channels
- Offer creative or innovative solutions to specific challenges facing the sales team or the company
- Gather pertinent industry and competitive data to keep the company informed of new sales opportunities and competition within the Company’s market
- Drive outlined sales initiatives and quotas for the continued development of Company product lines. Coordinate this activity with purchasing to ensure proper levels of inventory
- Assist in the development of leading indicators to be included in team members’ sales plans
- Oversee sales managers and sales staff to ensure that accounts are properly maintained
- Keep informed on competitors’ selling policies, tactics, services, and prices offered
- Review all paperwork required for sales documentation, including call reports and contact results. Review activity report with the Vice-President every week through Salesforce Dashboards
- Direct and/or participate in trade shows to demonstrate company products and services to potential and current customers
- Portray a positive professional appearance and serve as a role model for all personnel through the enthusiastic performance of all duties
- Assist in the development of the annual Commercial Team Cycle Plan
- Lead the effort to recruit and hire additional sales managers and support staff
- Prepare the annual forecast regarding the sales objectives for the territory and assist in the development of a sales budget for the business unit
- Participate in the development of effective sales and marketing tools
- Participate in the establishment of competitive pricing for BSG products
- Identify and implement relevant training opportunities within the budgeted allowance
- Serve as a key member of the executive team and participate in the regularly scheduled conference calls producing required reports and contributing to the overall management of the sales group
- Ensure an economic balance exists between the efforts to generate sales and the financial results
- Formulate annual travel budget and submit accurate expense reports in a timely manner
- Monitor actual verses forecasted gross margins of each product sold in each territory
- This position will require extensive travel to customer locations and events within the territory. Approximately 20% - 30% out of town weekday travel can be expected
- Perform all other duties as may be assigned by the President or Vice President
MINIMUM EDUCATION & WORK REQUIREMENTS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with applicable laws.
- Education/Experience. A Bachelor’s degree in Business/Marketing or a relevant discipline from an accredited college or university is preferred but sales, management and commercial beverage fermentation experience could offset the lack of a degree.
- Experience: Must have sufficient sales or management experience or potential.
- Licenses/Certification: Valid driver’s license.
- Language Ability: Must have the ability to read and write basic "Business English". Must have the ability to compose standard letters with proper format, grammar, punctuation, and spelling, using all parts of speech. Must have the ability to speak with poise, voice control, and confidence, using correct English with a well-modulated voice. Must have the ability to coordinate a variety of routine projects and activities simultaneously.
- Math Ability: Must have the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide using whole numbers and decimals. Must have the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, commissions, interest, and percentages.
- Reasoning Ability: Must have analytical and mathematical skills as related to office practices and procedures. Must have excellent reading, writing and verbal skills. Must have the ability to do basic math. Must have the ability to solve elementary day-to-day problems that arise in an office.
- Skills/Knowledge: Must be able to adapt to a changing environment and be able to communicate with all levels of the company. Must be able to perceive the needs of potential customers through conversational interaction and assist with translating those needs into reality and make most people feel comfortable in his presence. Must have the competence to plan and execute strategic sales efforts to gain new customers and an overall grasp on future potential for BSG’s markets. Must have knowledge and understanding of company policies and procedures, marketing techniques, market trends, competitive environment, pricing systems, and profit objectives.
- Must be prudent, ethical, and credible and use good judgment. Must be goal-oriented and committed to the company and its services and have the ability to meet any type of person(s) with confidence. Must be a team player with integrity and concern for the quality of BSG’s services and staff members.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to hire high performing salespeople
- Strong ability to coach sales reps to higher performance
- Ability to accurately forecast future sales volumes
- Proficient at Target Account Selling
- Ability to analyze, establish and execute pre-sales strategy
- Skilled at building rapport, opening doors, and understanding business requirements of senior decision makers
- Skilled at providing market recommendations and customer feedback to the executive team
- Ability to elicit needs from key decision makers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to influence others
- Strong time management, qualification, and negotiation skills