Sacramento Area Sales Representative
Sudwerk Brewing Co
Apply for this Job
SALES REPRESENTATIVE: Sacramento Area
Redefining the American Lager
Craft lagers have been flowing at California’s premier artisan lager brewery since 1989. Sudwerk Brewing Co. is searching for an energetic, organized self-starter who is passionate about craft beer and motivated to build a career in the beer industry as a Sales Representative in the greater Sacramento Area. This territory primarily includes the counties of Sacramento, El Dorado, Placer, Yolo, Butte and Solano. The job’s main focus is to promote and hand-sell great beer, especially craft lagers, to key on and off premise accounts through Sudwerk’s distribution network. The duties of this job include increasing distribution, on- and off-premise displays and promotions/ads, events, POS (point-of-sale) management, and continuously promoting good craft lagers within the distributor and in the marketplace. Succeeding at this job requires an outstanding person who has demonstrated exemplary work in previous jobs within the alcohol beverage industry.
We are a small company with strong growth potential, therefore we are looking for candidates who can develop with us by demonstrating a high capacity to learn and take on new challenges. Candidates must demonstrate examples of being a self-starter and have solid organizational skills as they will be required to work from a home/mobile office. This job requires an excellent work ethic, passion for great beer, knowledge of the brewing industry and beer styles, and the ability to grow sales volume at the retail and distributor level. The focus of the job is to work with distributors and key retailers to build Sudwerk’s business in the greater Sacramento area. Experience working with distributors and suppliers is critical to success in this position.
The preferred residence location for qualified candidates is in Sacramento or surrounding cities. This position requires computer knowledge and proficient use of Microsoft Office (including the ability to enter, analyze, and interpret data in spreadsheets), the ability to understand the market planning process, a basic understanding and use of selling skills, public speaking skills, and the ability to express oneself in an articulate, succinct and professional manner. A minimum of 1-5 years total beverage alcohol industry related experience required. A minimum 2-year college degree (or equivalent experience) required, 4-year college degree (or equivalent experience) preferred. Must be able to lift 35-pound cases and maneuver and place 165-lb kegs. This position requires a significant amount of night work and occasional weekend work. Extensive car travel is required. The successful candidate must have a valid driver’s license and an exemplary driving record, supported by a 3-year motor-vehicle report. Selected candidate must pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check. To work for Sudwerk Brewing Co., you must be at least 21 years of age.
The Sales Representative works autonomously to focus on developing new accounts and maintaining current accounts within the market. A high emphasis is placed on increasing the availability and visibility of products in new and existing accounts by using consultative sales tactics.
- Manage & Increase brand visibility and units sold in Markstein Distributing territories
- Representative of the Sudwerk brand at all times
- Brand Promotion and business development for Markstein Distributing territories
- Increase brand visibility and units sold in Markstein Distributing territories
- Proper account merchandising and maintenance
- Regular account promotions/events
- Consistent development of targeted new accounts and product placements
- Individual distributor sales program management
- Budgeting according to monthly trade spending budget
- Tracking and reporting all work related costs on a regular basis
- Work under direction of the Sales Manager to meet monthly and quarterly sales goals for each product and packaging
- Report monthly depletion reports to Sales Manager as required
- Maintain regular communication with distributor craft brand managers, sales managers and owners
- Track, manage and report distributor’s warehouse inventory on a weekly basis
- Assist in general public relations in covered territories
- Support social media marketing through work and personal network
- Secure product distribution in the assigned on and off-premise accounts
- Increase brand visibility within said accounts
- Conduct on-site training & education to enhance the account’s perception of the brand
- Ensure flawless execution of consumer-facing promotions
- Track/measure results vs. assigned goals on a systematic basis
Relationships & Product Distribution
- Collaborate with Head Sales Manager to modify/revise current account list to 40-50 key/influential On-Premise accounts within assigned market.
- Develop strong working relationships with the assigned accounts (Bartenders and Account staff) and collaborate with Distributor personnel to continuously increase Sudwerk distribution.
- Develop relationships and partnerships with key Distributor and trade personnel within their assigned territory.
- Conduct Distributor ride-withs on a regular basis (weekly) to ensure programs and priorities are on-track, and to help identify new opportunities.
Brand Visibility & Training/Education
- Ensure Sudwerk is featured in the assigned accounts: Back bar visibility, menu placements, drink features, POS/Merchandising.
- Convert Distributors and Account Staff into Sudwerk advocates, by acting as the local brand champion for the Sudwerk Brewing Co; conduct brand trainings.
- Implementation and execution of brand building activities, as well as brand development and sales for the entire brand.
Promotions and Account Management
- Continually visit accounts to ensure the brand is achieving KPI goals as determined for each account; work with Head Sales Manager to adjust account strategy as needed.
- Notify Head Sales Manager and Distributor partner of any issues with accounts and steps taken to resolve those issues.
- Leverage tastings and events in key accounts to drive consumer awareness of Sudwerk.
- Track budgets by account and type of spend; stay within allocated brand budget.
- Provide locally relevant information, on a weekly basis, that can be leveraged to create social media content (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) to the Social Media Manager to promote Sudwerk. In markets where available, the sales representative should also enhance/support Distributor’s social media efforts.
- Leverage personal social media networks to amplify the brand’s activities.
Track & Measure: Key Performance Indicator (KPI) Achievement
- Learn how to use Vermont Information Processing (VIP) to track and manage all key sales leads.
- Complete KPI Tracker detailing accounts and KPIs achieved, and provide reporting to all key stakeholders (Head Sales Manager, Distributor personnel, etc.) to demonstrate performance in the market and key accounts.
- Provide monthly budget reports/trackers to Head Sales Manager.
- Work with local team and stakeholders to integrate KPIs into Sudwerk Brewing Company plans.
- Provide market insight and recommendations against the target account list and update as needed with new account openings, new opportunities, etc.
- Competitive tracking: report on competitive activity and watch for market trends.
- Present to and engage distributor sales personnel at distributor sales meetings, while sharing upcoming priorities, events and brand initiatives
- Attend all relevant team meetings
- This role reports directly to the Head Sales Manager and works with key brewery and distributor personnel.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 1-5 years experience in sales & marketing in a related Beer, Wine or Spirits role and 1 year within the assigned market.
- Proven track record of success increasing sales volumes within targeted accounts.
- Knowledge of local on-premise beer market, including local laws & statutes.
- Ability to prioritize and juggle many tasks as well as work within prescribed timelines and deadlines.
- Self-starter, outgoing and ambitious personality.
- Adept at selling and interacting with diverse groups of people.
- Strong written, verbal and public speaking skills.
- Strong budget management skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Web-based reporting tools.
- Knowledge of and experience with Vermont Information Processing (VIP) a plus
- Clean driving record and proof of automotive insurance.
- Position contingent upon successful completion of background check.
Ingredients To Be A Successful Brewery Representative
- Desire to build a career in sales
- 1 to 3 years of proven results oriented experience in outside sales or within the food & beverage industry
- An competitive spirit with an assertive, confident personality
- Strong sense of urgency and commitment to achieving results
- Strong judgment and professional maturity
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and within a team to accomplish goals
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage multiple responsibilities
- Bachelor's degree required
To Be Mixed With
- 100% focus on selling products and/or upgrading number of product lines in retail accounts (bars/restaurants, liquor/grocery stores/convenient stores)
- Identifying major accounts that are not being penetrated with Sudwerk products, and developing a plan to establish business with such accounts
- Improve conditions and merchandise accounts by building displays, resetting coolers and displaying point of sale items to increase visibility of the brand.
- Partnering with distributors to ensure orders are placed, products are received and business is growing at accounts
- Conducting waitstaff / bartender educations, beer tastings and evening promotions
- Valid driver's license, registered and insured vehicle, and ability to drive to and from accounts continuously
- Ability to lift and move 35 lb cases of beer and maneuver 165 lb kegs frequently
- Ability to climb, kneel, and stoop to arrange and display point of sale frequently
About Sudwerk Brewing Co
The Sudwerk Brewing Co is California's leading brewer of handcrafted, full-flavored craft lagers. Founded in 1989 by two German friends in Davis, CA, Sudwerk brews beers using the world's finest all-natural ingredients. The brewery is focusing on redefining American lager beers by pushing style limits while maintaining a lager sessionability. Sudwerk is an independent brewery; brewing the utmost quality beer, educating customers and giving back to its community remain its primary focus.
Sudwerk Brewing Co. is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to help ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who wish to request accommodation in the job application process can contact 530.756.2739 or email@example.com for assistance.