Assistant Brewer Position
Pecan Street Brewing
Apply for this Job
Pecan Street Brewing (PSB) is a family owned BrewPub located on the historic courthouse square in Johnson City, Texas. We are nestled in the heart of the Texas Hill Country 1 block north of Hwy 290/Main St – more commonly known as “The TX Beverage Trail”. We offer Texas Size Hospitality at our BrewPub with a full restaurant/bar and brewery serving our local community and touring guests. PSB opened in June of 2011 and has enjoyed consistent growth each year.
PSB currently has a 7BBL brew system with 4 fermenter tanks. We average 8 to 10 beers on tap and have a portfolio of 50 + recipes. 2018 we started our small batch program as a way to test beers before brewing on a larger scale and provide unique options for our guests to try. It’s a fun way to create a buzz about our Pub. All beer is sold in pints, crowlers, growlers at the brewpub (we do not distribute at this time). We also sell kegs for events. In 2019, our Cold Room Storage facility was completed and a new chiller was installed which allowed us to expand our brewing system to keep pace with demand.
PSB has built a loyal following through our CROWLER CLUB MEMBERSHIP program. These beer enthusiasts enjoy quarterly pick up events where our brewers share updates on the beers and our chef provides specially paired foods. It’s a great way to stay connected and keep a pulse on how we are doing with our guests.
We are looking for an Assistant Brewer who shares our dedication, work ethic, and passion for craft beer. Someone who thrives in a hands-on, small production brewery setting.
The Assistant Brewer is responsible for supporting the Brew Master in carrying out all aspects of the brewing and cleaning process. They are responsible for executing a brewing plan that meets demands efficiently and effectively while protecting the quality of the CRAFT. The Assistant Brewer contributes to a healthy team culture by maintaining a positive attitude, working with a variety of individuals. The ideal candidate displays strong work ethic, communicates effectively and goes above and beyond.
- Brew House Operations – all responsibilities of wort production (including milling, mashing, boiling, grain-out, brewing house vessel clean-in-place (CIP), and detailed record keeping.
- Cellar-related Operations – all responsibilities for fermentation and conditioning management, including fermenter/brite beer tank (BBT) CIP & sanitation, monitoring fermentation, dry-hopping, yeast management, transferring beers between tanks, monitoring conditioning and detailed record keeping.
- Packaging Operations: Kegging, keg washing
- Strict adherence to sanitation protocol of the brewing equipment, including cleaning and sanitizing, maintenance and troubleshooting, including pumps, heat exchangers, filters, gas regulators, keg couplers, etc.
- Ensures the brew schedule is kept up-to-date and accurate, monitor production and sales to ensure continuous availability of flagships and timely release of seasonal beers.
- Execute proper sampling and analysis of product in accordance with schedule, monitor vital fermentation critical control points including but not limited to target gravity, pH, temperatures and pressures.
- Executes the quality control programs across the business to insure the goal of continuous improvement in product and process is met and exceeded
- Supports new recipe formulation and development, including special batch collaboration with brewing partners (i.e. Garrison Brothers Bourdon).
- Monitor and report inventories of beer and raw materials, including grain, hops, yeast and chemicals and order as needed.
- Maintain proper draft line cleaning and maintenance at the bar
- Maintain a sanitary environment, which includes but not limited to cleaning floors, walls and tanks. Does NOT cut corners in regards to sanitation is detailed orientated
- Represent PSB at local events and festivals: attend event and setup and serve
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- +2 years professional brewing experience in a micro-brewery
- Industry education preferred (not required)
- Proven brewery knowledge including chemistry & biology
- Strong Problem Solving skills and mechanical & electrical troubleshooting skills
- Adherence to workplace safety procedures
- Ability to work in confined spaces and strong knowledge of brewery hazards.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and reach with hands and arms, stoop, crouch, bend, twist.
- Ability to work near moving mechanical parts safely
- Frequent exposure to wet conditions, humidity, heat, cold, loud noises
- Safely handle caustic and acidic chemicals and sanitizers and know proper time, temperature, and application.
- Multitasking & time management skills
- Excellent written & verbal skills
- Computer literacy
- Self-motivation as well as ability to work efficiently as part of team
- Flexibility (some weekends)
- Physical strength, flexibility and stamina required – ability to lift full kegs (+60lbs) and full grain bags (+50lbs). As well as climb stairs daily.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This is a full-time hourly position. Compensation is dependent on experience and qualifications.
- PTO – Paid Time Off per company policy
- GROUP HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN
- AFLAC supplemental insurance available for purchase including company sponsored AFLAC benefits
- Branded SWAG – (employee 50% discount) & free Anniversary & Holiday shirts
- Meal & Beer Allowance Program
- Continuing education