Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
Apply for Job
The SENSORY TECHNICIAN will perform routine testing and evaluation of company ingredients and products through production release, descriptive (profile) and discrimination (triangle test), flavor alignment and new product panels. This role is primarily responsible for the collection of samples, tracking inventory and maintaining a clean and organized laboratory.
- Independently collects samples (water, fermenter, bright beer, packaging, bubbling’s and grains) in a production environment while adhering to good safety practices.
- Implements shelf life product pulls to support new product/process development.
- Daily set up and assistance running sensory sessions including: production release, descriptive (profile) and discrimination (triangle test), flavor alignment and new product panels.
- Promotes good laboratory hygiene by maintaining cleanliness, dishwasher operation, temperature tracking, draught line flushing, organization and documentation.
- Supports and works with cross functional teams represented on sensory panels.
- Pays attention to detail and provides accuracy when entering and reviewing sensory results.
- Develops systems and works to find efficiencies by presenting ideas in an appropriate way to management.
- Additional duties may include leading panels, administering training, writing basic sensory reports or other tasks which are reasonably within the scope of this description.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- This position requires an associate degree.
- Lab experience in the food or beverage industry preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) is desired.
- Beer tasting experience (BJCP, cicerone) is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Willingness to learn sensory evaluation techniques and basic statistics.
- Must possess good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to write business correspondence and standard operating procedures.
- Organized, detail-orientated and maintains effective time management
- Enthusiastic, curious and is generally a quick-learner
- Professional conduct and positively influences cross functional teams
- Must be a team player, willing to help out where needed.
- Capable of maintaining a positive attitude while multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
- Must have a strong passion for brewing and beer
- Occasional travel required, primarily to other Sierra Nevada locations to receive or provide training.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to production environments which could include limited time in wet or humid conditions and outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet but may occasionally require hearing protection.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must be able to lift up to 35 pounds without assistance, and maneuver 56 pounds safely and with proper body mechanics. The employee is occasionally required to stand on their feet for long periods of time.
- Ability to taste and evaluate a wide variety of food and beverage products.
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check.
- This is a full-time position with a work week and shift that varies depending on need.
- You must be at least 21 years of age to work for Sierra Nevada Brewing Company.
** This position will remain open until filled; online applications will be reviewed weekly **
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer