Great North Aleworks
Apply for this Job
JOB TITLE: Brewer/Cellarman
LOCATION: Great North Aleworks, Manchester, NH
REPORTS TO: Head Brewer/Cellar Manager
POSITION TYPE: Full Time, Hourly Non-Exempt
SHIFT: Dynamic to include nights and weekends
POSITION SUMMARY: Primarily a brewing position with secondary duties to include cellaring as necessary. Responsible for following established SOPs and best practices in order to produce high quality beer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operation of a 20 barrel brewhouse.
- Directly responsible for maintaining quality standards in all areas of brewing and cellaring.
- Maintain a sanitary and micro-biologically stable work environment through Clean in Place (CIP) procedures and solid general housekeeping practices.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Occasional yeast handling, including harvesting, laboratory cell counts, and pitching.
- Occasionally monitor and record fermentations including routine analysis of in-process beer.
- Centrifuge operation.
- Carbonate beer and prepare for it for packaging.
- Continual lifting, dragging, carrying, and manipulating of hoses, parts, pumps, buckets, and reservoirs requiring standing, walking, crouching, and lifting regularly throughout the duration of shift.
- Perform routine preventative maintenance on equipment and infrastructure in collaboration with other brewers and maintenance staff.
- Aid in the professional development of new brewers.
- Additional duties may be assigned as necessary.
- Computer and other process automation systems
- Brewing raw materials including water, hops, malt, and yeast
- Cleaning and sanitizing chemicals
- Pumps, hoses, valves, clamps, gaskets, and other brewery equipment
- Fork lift/aerial lift
IMPORTANT SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Positive outlook and attitude.
- Ability to maintain productivity with limited supervision.
- Maintain high safety and quality standards.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to manage multiple processes at one time.
- Self-motivated with good time management skills.
- Ability to coordinate with other departments according to schedule.
- Ability to work in a diverse team environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff throughout the brewery.
- Work shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Have a minimum of 1 year of experience in a commercial brewery as a brewer.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the brewing process.
- Have a basic understanding of good cellar practices.
- Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb.
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 55 lbs.
- Full dexterity, and use of senses to identify potential hazards.
- Must be able to participate in critical assessment of beers.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Typical brewery environment: frequently high levels of noise, wet/slippery conditions, cold/hot climate.
- The employee regularly works with hazardous materials.
- The employee works on wet floors and with wet equipment.
- The employee regularly works around high voltage, hot water, and steam.
INTERESTED APPLICANTS: Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
No drop-ins please.
Great North Aleworks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.