Ten Eyck Brewing Company
Apply for this Job
Ten Eyck Brewing Company, the Eastern Shore of Maryland’s newest brewery, is looking for our Head Brewer! Slated for a Spring 2020 opening, we are owned and operated by women veterans and first responders. Our mission is to produce the highest quality, most delicious beer and cider. Our onsite tasting room will feature 16 taps, views of the production floor, and an expansive patio and outdoor beer garden. The building itself is brand spanking new and ready to rock! Our 10bbl brewhouse was custom built by Portland Kettle Works, as were our cellar tanks. We are starting with 50 barrels of fermentation capacity and are planning to incorporate two 20bbl foeders in the near future.
We are proud to be brewing in Maryland, the state known as “The Land of Pleasant Living” and “America in Miniature” because of all it has to offer! Our brewery is located 15 miles east of the Chesapeake Bay, along the primary route to Atlantic Ocean beaches. We are within an hour’s drive to Annapolis, Baltimore, and Washington, DC, and within two hours to the beach! The Eastern Shore is home to a wide variety of farms and orchards, and we will be featuring local ingredients in our beer and cider.
We feel this is a tremendous opportunity for an experienced brewer looking to put down roots and make their mark. We are looking for a brewer well versed in traditional styles that is also extremely creative and imaginative; experience with and a love for mixed fermentation is preferred. The ideal candidate wants to build a reputation for world-class beer and would relish being an ambassador of our company & brand, as well as being an integral part of our brewery family.
This position entails overseeing all brewing operations, including but not limited to:
- Cleaning & Sanitation
- Recipe collaboration & design
- Wort production
- Cellar operations
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Milling, mashing, filtering, boiling, whirlpooling, knockout, transfer, grain out, CIP
- Cellar tank CIP/scrub/sanitation, monitoring fermentation, capping/ chilling/ dry-hopping, yeast management & propagation
- Filtering, carbonation, cleaning & filling kegs, operating two-head canning line
- Cell counts, pitch rates, gravity measurements, DO measurements, process sampling, yeast viability measurement, taste panel, laboratory analysis & interpretation
- Brewery effluent processing & management as it relates to the above operations, maintenance of cleaning & organization standards, accurate & legible maintenance of the brewing log, general brewery maintenance & management as needed, and accurate reporting to applicable governmental agencies
- Creation, documentation, & enforcement of SOPs and best practices, adherence to our safety program and maintenance schedules, cleaning & sanitation schedules, and related items for all aspects of brewery operations
- Troubleshoot, repair, and preventive maintenance of all brewery equipment
- Raw material ordering & inventory management
- Maintain OSHA records and workplace safety records
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A minimum two years of experience as a professional brewer, one year as head brewer preferred
- Standing, walking, lifting 55+ lbs., maneuvering 170 lbs., stooping, kneeling, crawling, reaching, talking, hearing (with or without correction)
- Able to stand for long periods of time (8-10 hours)
- Forklift certified
- Ability to properly manage water chemistry
- Visual acuity (with or without correction)
- Initiative, work with minimal supervision, and keen ability to think on your feet
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers, staff, and Ten Eyck team members
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to tactfully handle stressful and difficult situations
- Must be 21 years old or older and hold a valid drivers’ license
- Knowledge of and proficiency in brewery record keeping software
- Senses of smell and taste crucial in assessment of beers
- Ability to work in a hot, cold, loud, and wet environment
- Ability to perform job tasks while wearing PPE
This position requires a background check and successful completion of the TIPS On-Premise training class or any applicable alcohol server training as required by local, state, and Federal laws.Ten Eyck Brewing Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage Veterans, diverse and non-traditional candidates to apply.
We look forward to hearing from you!