Head Brewer Position for Startup
1984 Brewing LLC
Apply for this Job
Hello Brewers! We’re a startup microbrewery opening in the historic section of Ball Ground, Georgia, seeking a creative brewer to manage all aspects of our production operations. Our 7BBL system is on order, and we’re targeting a summer 2020 launch. We are looking to fill the head brewer position immediately so that the chosen candidate can actively participate in startup activities.
· Lead new product development with recipe formulation and innovative techniques to create new and exciting flavor experiences
· Manage and plan brew schedule, document and regularly communicate schedule to leadership team and staff.
· Capable of performing all brew house, cellar, CIP, & QC
· Coordinate purchasing and inspection of raw material ingredients; ensure inventory is on hand for brew days
· Author new and edit existing SOPs. Manage brewing logs and beer record keeping files.
· Work with ownership to complete and submit quarterly TTB reports.
· Manage development, planning, and execution of site pilot brewing system.
· Maintain brewing areas to ensure compliance with company quality, sanitation and safety standards.
· Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
· Maintain inventory supply of malt, hops, yeast, and other brewery supplies to keep up with production.
· Qualify new suppliers and keep records of supplier issues and performance.
· 2+ years professional brewing experience or 10+ yrs home brewing. Formal brewing education from an accredited brewing program a plus.
· 2-5 years of experience in a Craft Brewery (3+ barrel brew house, barrel aging, sour production, pilot brewing, kegging, brewery installation a plus).
· Possess and maintain proficient understanding of Laboratory Operations / Quality Assurance / Sensory Trained to measure cell health, pitch rates, ABV analysis, BU analysis, taste and color analysis.
· Possess basic mechanical skills - manage maintenance program – coordinate spare parts inventory, preventative maintenance schedule and serve as first line of troubleshooting/problem solving.
· Planning and scheduling of production to meet new product launch objectives.
· Experience in successfully creating beer recipes.
· Budgeting and ability to set priorities to work within well-defined financial targets and guidelines.
· Must have current or be able to obtain Fork Lift Operator Certification.
· Strong customer orientation. Passion for people and beer.
· Excellent teamwork, interpersonal, presentation, and verbal/written communication skills.
· Flexibility to do whatever it takes to get the job done right.
· Highly motivated, self-starting, and resourceful.
· Strong judgment, professional maturity, and impeccable integrity.
· Effective time management, particularly ability to multitask, prioritize and plan around different responsibilities and initiatives.
· Ability to work flexible/ weekend hours, available for cellar chores and attendance at special events/festivals, sales support, beer tastings/dinners.
· Frequently stand for the duration of the shift, walk, bend over, twist, kneel, climb, stoop and crouch. This position requires the ability to routinely and repeatedly lift up to 55 pounds and maneuver 170 pounds repeatedly.
· Use their hands to perform fine manipulation, handle or feel, and must be able to reach with hands and arms.
· Identify product deficiencies (color, smell, taste). This requires having close, distance, color and peripheral vision as well as depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
· This position requires proper handling of hazardous materials and operation of complex moving machinery.
· Regularly exposed to a damp, wet environment with hot liquids, airborne particles, chemicals, and moving machinery.