Apply for this Job
Flying Embers, an employee-owned company, is seeking a Brewmaster who is creative, hardworking and highly motivated to lead our innovation and R&D for beer production as well as other alcohol categories. While our current product lineup is focused on hard kombucha, we are considering expanding our portfolio to create a total better-for-you alcohol platform. This is a leadership position within the organization that will contribute to the development of the company’s strategy, initiatives, and the continuous improvement of our existing and future recipes.
The Brewmaster will join a cross-functional team that includes Operations, Sales, Marketing and Finance to lead new product development with formulation and innovative techniques to create new and exciting flavors. The ideal candidate has years of experience brewing exceptional beer, is confident in his or her skills and has a deep appreciation for pushing the envelope that will help establish Flying Embers as the leader in the better-for-you alcohol space. For the right person, this is a unique opportunity to help build the next big brand in beverage alcohol and disrupt the entire industry.
- Own the brewing capability for the organization
- Innovation and recipe development across different alcohol categories
- Lead the recipe development cycle, including: formulating, iterating, scaling and project management
- Identify improvement opportunities in recipes, processes and quality
- Stay at the cutting edge of alcohol trends and styles, ingredients, brewing science, brewing processes, etc.
- Ability to work with a variety of yeast and bacteria to obtain desired alcohol, acids and flavor profiles while maintaining product stability
- Identify and lead collaboration brews with other like-minded breweries
- Develop, maintain and manage SOP/KPI’s for production operations
- Ability to cost recipes and prepare scaled BOM’s for budget review
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Expert knowledge of brewing processes, ingredients, brewing science and beer quality
- Experience with project management
- Knowledge of general brewery engineering, design, and implementation of equipment and systems
- Acute sensory perception and training to distinguish differences in color, taste and smell
- Strong verbal/written commutation and computer skills including Excel and ERP systems
- Strong judgement, professional maturity and responsible decision making
- Team player with a strong work ethic and self-starting attitude
- Ability to demonstrate reliability and work in a fast pace setting, ability to multitask
Flying embers offers highly competitive wages that will be determined by experience and other factors. Position is eligible for company equity and relocation in addition to exceptional Medical, Dental and Vision coverage.
Position Snap Shot
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Type: Exempt
Pay Type: Salary
Location: Ventura & LA
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s Degree in a related technical field and/or a formal education from an accredited brewing program and/or professional brewing experience
Minimum Experience: 5 Years
Age Requirement: 21 years or older
Required Travel: . 5%
Tools & Equipment Used: Standard Office Equipment & Brewing Equipment
Physical & Mental Requirements
Required to routinely and repeatedly lift up to 55 pounds and maneuver 170 pounds. Expected to stand, sit, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, bend, talk, hear, taste, smell, see, and operate objects, tools, and controls. Regularly exposed to damp, wet environment with hot liquids, airborne particles, chemicals and moving machinery. Must have the physical and mental strength and endurance to be able to perform duties, in at times extreme environments, as well as the ability to handle stressors of the position. Must be able to travel via car, airplane or train.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
The employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position as a result of evolving business needs.