Griffin Claw Brewing Company
Apply for this Job
The Cellar Worker is responsible for the duties involved with the fermentation cellar and all beer released to packaging. The quality of our beer is our primary focus and can be greatly impacted by the cellar processes. Ensuring quality must be the Cellar Worker’s primary focus.
The Cellar Worker is responsible for cleaning and sanitizing fermentation and conditioning tanks, as well as transferring beer from tank to tank, verifying beer is transferred in accordance with Company Policy. The Cellar Worker is also responsible for monitoring the fermentation of beer, the cooling of fermenting and conditioning beer, and carbonating beer to the correct level. The Cellar Worker also cleans and sanitizes product lines and other equipment as well as the general working environment in the cellar. Cleaning duties will include floors, outsides of tanks, parts, floor drains, filtration/centrifuge equipment, racks and containers. The Cellar Worker is also responsible for checking dissolved oxygen of the beer, and any other task in the cellar that is deemed necessary.
- Operate cellar equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Complete all necessary paperwork accurately and on time.
- Maintain yeast disposal/harvest, and grain area cleanup schedule.
- Perform all tasks in an efficient, productive manner, and in accordance with Company Safety Policies.
- Maintain inventory as needed. Report all low levels of inventory to your supervisor when necessary.
- Operation of centrifuge.
- Monitor gravities, temperatures, DO, off flavors and carbonations daily.
- Perform FV and BBT CIP’s, while maintaining our quality focused SOP’s.
- Be responsible for ensuring that security procedures are adhered to throughout the building.
- Communicate regularly and efficiently with Griffin Claw Brewing Company staff.
- Arrive to each shift on time with a positive attitude.
- Assist other departments when necessary, including but not limited to brewing, and QC.
- Follow all SOPs and safety protocols.
- Make observations of efficiencies and inefficiencies.
- Make recommendations for equipment and processes with formal reports or an email.
- Contribute to improvements and processes required to gain efficiency and quality assurance in the cellar department.
- Contribute to the evolution of the cellar department.
- Complete special projects assigned by supervisors.
- Continue working in cellar department to learn and improve the current cellar program.
- Remain calm, flexible, and able to work through setbacks and emergencies.
- Ability to know when to ask for help from the Lead Cellarman or Head Brewer if help is needed to prevent mistakes and ultimately get the job done.
- Able to work through challenges by setting a professional and upbeat example.
- Writing and math skills necessary to accurately complete a dilution calculations, volume, flow, density, weight, length, pressure and other unit conversions, calculate beer volumes/losses, and alcohol content.
- Consistently read and write orders and draft emails.
- Ability to complete forms.
- Communicate clearly with coworkers and managers, verbally and written.
- Frequent problem solving.
- Minimum of 1+ years’ experience in cellaring or brewing in a production brewery is required, 3+ years preferred.
- Flexibility to work varied shifts including weekends, holidays, and nights.
- Knowledge of industrial controls and instrumentation.
- Fork lift certification a plus (not required).
- Knowledge of yeast cell counts and pitching.
Physical Requirement/Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Capable of standing on your feet for long periods of time, 8-10 hours per day.
- Physical ability to lift 55+ lbs to shoulder height.
- Ability to work in a noisy environment.
- Capable of following all safety procedures while around working with potentially hazardous machinery, chemicals etc.
- Ability to work all shifts, including traditional work days, nights and weekends.
- Must have reliable transportation.
We offer competitive pay, Health and Medical plans, and great food-and-beer benefits!