Southern Tier Brewing Company
Apply for Job
To APPLY, VISIT: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/ART10...3-2b6e1f48b2ed
Here’s your opportunity to join a growing organization committed to revolutionizing the craft industry. Southern Tier Brewing Company was founded in 2002 and is owned by Artisanal Brewing Ventures, a top 10 regional craft brewer in the United States. Southern Tier is recognized in the industry for innovation in craft brewing, and is committed to producing the highest quality product.
What an exciting time to join the team at Southern Tier Brewing Company! With the opening of our Pittsburgh & Cleveland locations as well as our Charlotte location with our friends at Victory Brewing Company, Bold Rock Cider, & Sixpoint Brewing, the opportunities here are limitless. Becoming a member of the STBC team means you’re joining a truly unique and progressing organization that values the employees’ enthusiasm, commitment, and desire to work with others.
The Quality Manager is a champion of assuring and controlling the highest possible quality standards for all brewed and packaged products.The Quality Manager will oversee the Quality Management System and provide direction and supervision that builds and sustains a first-class quality culture to all aspects of brewery operations. This position will demand excellence of all Quality Assurance employees, develop a community based on high quality, foster the stewardship of high standards and exhibit innovative thinking and methods for achieving goals.
Reports to: VP of Operations
- Leads Quality team: Directs, schedules, and manages quality technicians, and daily work activities of the department.
- Establishes & tracks Key Performance & Quality Indicators to provide feedback processes that assures our beer meets quality standards. Proactively develop solutions to issues affecting product quality and consistency.
- Set/Review/Standardize/Maintain quality policies (in an electronic Quality Manual system).
- Set quality goals, conduct SOP audits, and write process improvement reports.
- Ensures appropriate records and reports are developed, analyzed, distributed and maintained for quality improvement and regulatory purposes. Distributes quarterly Quality reports to brewery Leadership team based upon actual results.
- Develop SOPs to elevate process control and minimize variability from operator to operator and assure adherence to those standards is maintained. Consults regularly with & supports the beer production & packaging departments to promote quality.
- Oversees Sensory Program; works with Sensory technician to ensure continuous improvement.
- Oversees Laboratory; ensures area is clean, organized and maintains equipment in proper working order.
- Provides assurance that raw materials are validated to standards and meet requirements.
- Investigate and respond to consumer complaints.
- Ensure cleanliness and sanitation of environment and equipment in accordance with company standards.
- As a member of the brewery leadership team; provide risk analysis on new products and develop target KPI’s.
- Champion continuous improvement efforts and supports process improvement initiatives across all departments. Successfully build rapport, respect and camaraderie within the Quality Assurance team, management and interdepartmentally throughout the company to develop and promote internal customer satisfaction.
- Assure effective planning and communication throughout the department and interdepartmentally, ensuring adequate and appropriate information flow are promoted throughout the organization.
- When applicable, assist in the development, implementation & support of GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices), HACCP (Hazardous Analysis & Critical Control Point) and Product recall programs
- Support environmental initiatives through departmental activities such as ensuring minimal process waste, responsibly routing waste and recyclables, minimizing water and energy consumption and striving for a “greener” business.
- Perform annual performance reviews for department technicians and interns.
- Keeps abreast of industry best practices.
- Must have scheduling flexibility as the brewing operations are 24/7 and this position will need to handle issues as they arise.
- Areas of Accountability:
- Microbiological Quality Assurance (QA) / Quality Control (QC)
- Chemical Analytics
- Yeast Management
- Fermentation Management
- Sensory Analysis
- Packaging Quality
- Raw Materials Quality
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Biology/Microbiology, and Food Sciences, Fermentation or other directly related field.
- Minimum 3-years of QA/QC experience, preferably in a production brewery (or an industry regulated by the FDA).
- Minimum two 2-years in a supervisory / management role.
- Flavor panel experience with formalized training preferred.
- Prior experience with GMP’s or HACCP’s, Advanced degrees and/or a Brewing education will be considered a plus.
- Safe Laboratory Operations and procedures. Ability to safely handle and work with reagents and other potentially hazardous chemicals.
- An understanding of the critical role of sanitation in the brewing process.
- Exceptional teambuilding skills and the ability to train personnel effectively.
- Exceptional communication skills both verbal and written. Must be able to confidently speak in public.
- Strong project management and organizational skills and have the ability to multi-task.
- Strong work ethic / high level of professionalism.
- Skilled in thinking critically and problem solving.
- Microsoft Office Skills, particularly Excel spreadsheets.
- Must be able to travel via car, airplane or train.
- Willingness to fill in other job duties as necessary.
Candidate should be able and willing to lift at least 31.5 lbs. from ground level to a shelf 50 inches from the floor. The candidate should also be able to move 165 lbs. of kegged beer from one location to another by sliding it on the floor.
Selected candidate will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment background and driver's license check.
Adherence to safety policies and procedures of the worksite.
This Job Description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties.
Artisanal Brewing Ventures an Equal Opportunity Employer