Head Brewer - Laguna Beach Beer Company
Laguna Beach Beer Company
Apply for this Job
Laguna Beach Beer Company
Laguna Beach Beer Company is seeking a Head Brewer
Established in 2014, Laguna Beach Beer Company (LBBC) has been growing throughout Orange County and has recently expanded its distribution into San Diego County. LBBC currently has two locations with a production brewery with a tasting room including a kitchen in Rancho Santa Margarita and its marquee tasting room with a kitchen in Laguna Beach. We brew on a new 15bbl brewhouse and our cellar consists of seven 30bbl fermenters. In addition to its retail operations, LBBC distributes to bars and restaurants throughout Orange County and recently expanded its distribution in San Diego County.
The Head Brewery candidate should be creative with an extensive understanding of brewing and skills related to beer production, ability to create new beer recipes, and financial knowledge to reduce costs, improve productivity, and have the ability to supervise brewery production employees.. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge about the craft beer market. The candidate should be able to produce new and exciting beers.
Job duties include the supervision of production employees. The head brewer will be responsible for the production of our core beer offerings as well as the creation of new beers to extend our specialty and seasonal lines. The successful candidate will report directly to the CEO and will manage all production aspects of the brewery.
Day-to-day responsibilities include: review process and production procedures, hire and train employees as needed, order raw materials and packaging, manage our barrel-aging program, develop new and exciting beers, coordinate and manage brewhouse equipment and maintenance, monitor product quality, ensure a safe, sanitary, and clean workplace, conduct month-end inventory counts and work with upper management on the procedures, policies, budgets, and the execution of the aforementioned.
It is expected that the candidate will have at least 3 years experience as a craft brewer, display proven creativity communication, coaching and interpersonal skills, and must be able to cultivate a productive team environment. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Executing or overseeing all areas of brewing, cellaring, barrel-aging, tank cleaning, filtering, packaging, quality control, inventory management and yeast management.
- Milling, mashing, lautering, wort boiling, and transferring to the fermenter, brite tank, and barrels.
- Maintaining and managing barrel again program.
- Responsible for transferring beer to serving vessels including, but not limited to, brite tanks and kegs.
- Maintaining and developing the use of standard operating procedures to ensure the beer is produced consistently, free of defects, true to style and of the highest quality.
- Responsible for procurement of raw materials and other inventory items as it relates to the brewing and packaging process.
- Creation and maintenance of innovative recipe development.
- Monitor water quality, gravities, temperatures, and carbonation.
- Stay current with developing beer styles and propose new beer recipes.
- Work with brewery staff to ensure a clean and safe work environment is maintained at all times.
- Must be able to operate a forklift.
- Flexible to work a rotating schedule as business needs arise (typical work week = 45 hours).
- Position requires standing for long periods of time (up to 12 hours), bending, stooping, twisting, and lifting products and materials weighing up to 70 pounds.
- Routine pushing, pulling, reaching, upper body and arm rotation, arm extension, and climbing ladders.
- Very high noise levels in/around packaging lines (ear protection required when in that area).
- Exposure to various temperature changes.
- Able to wear required Personal Protective Equipment (ear plugs, gloves, boots, etc.).
- Willing to work on weekends as needed.
Supervision of Others
This position requires knowledge and leadership skills to supervise the production staff.
- Brewing experience in a craft brewery is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of safe work operations, safety policies, and procedures.
- Attention to detail, ability to recognize when there is a problem.
Laguna Beach Beer Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.