Director Of Brewing Operations
New Glory Craft Brewery
Apply for this Job
New Glory Craft Brewery is seeking a talented, enthusiastic, hardworking individual to join our production team. For consideration please send a resume and brief cover letter letting us know why you want to work for New Glory to firstname.lastname@example.org attention to Julien Lux
About the position
Title: Director of Brewing Operations
Reports to: President and Vice President
Position Type: Full time, exempt
Position summary: The Director of Brewing Operations is responsible for the planning and coordination of the entire brewing process. To perform this role they must manage staff, schedule beer production runs, ensure adequate raw materials are available, and make sure that the brewery’s equipment is working correctly. They will oversee production, supervise beer packaging, maintain a safe work environment, schedule maintenance work and much more. The Director of Brewing Operations will work closely with the executive management team and Brewmaster to ensure that the brewing process remains consistent and that beer production goals are met. This is a key role at the brewery and one that carries a lot of responsibility. They will direct the entire brewery in producing high volume of beer of the up most quality — on-time and on-budget.
The Director of Brewing Operations has wide-reaching responsibilities that bring them into contact with virtually every department and employee in the brewery. Their responsibilities include:
- Supervise brewing production from start to finish
- The Director of Brewing Operations will oversee every aspect of the production process, from the acquisition and processing of raw materials to the packaging and dispatch of the finished product.
- Create brewing, filtration and packaging schedules
- They must create and maintain a master production schedule, so all stages of the brewing process are performed on time and production targets are met. They must ensure that beers are produced to a schedule that maximizes the efficiency of the brewery and its staff.
- Coordinate beer movements throughout the brewery
- They are responsible for moving beer throughout the brewery and making changes based on any issues that occur. Those issues could include changes to production goals, issues with raw materials, or mechanical issues.
- Work with the Brewmaster to formulate recipes and ensure quality is maintained
- The Director of Brewing Operations will work closely with the Brewermaster to formulate recipes for large-scale production runs and ensure those recipes are correctly followed. They will be involved with the quality assurance process and play a significant role in ensuring the brewery continues to make great and relevant beer that align with the company vision and market direction.
- Help to create a realistic budget for beer production and monitor that budget
- They will responsible for creating an appropriate budget for beer production runs, then take the steps necessary to ensure the budget is met. They must forecast and plan for future brewery production costs including any future personnel or equipment needs.
- Work with all suppliers
- The Director of Brewing Operations will be involved with suppliers of raw materials, packaging supplies, chemical suppliers and brewing equipment. They will be responsible for all contracting of raw materials for current and future needs. They will also work with the President, Vice President and Brewmaster for the procurement and commissioning of all future equipment. They must maintain good working relationships with these companies and individuals.
- Set and meet efficiency metrics.
- The Director of Brewing Operations will set key performance indicators (KPIs) for all aspect of the brewing process from yields to materials usage and waste. They will work with each department in the brewery to ensure all KPIs are met. They will prepare on a monthly basis reports showcasing the brewery’s overall efficiency and performance.
- Continually improve production processes and the quality of beer
- The Director of Brewing Operations will be tasked with writing, updating, delivering and enforcing standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for all departments. They must adopt a philosophy of continual improvement. They will proactively suggest process improvements as applicable for quality, consistency, efficiency, and cost saving. They will constantly look for ways to brew beer more efficiently and increase the quality and quantity of the finished product.
- Make sure that the brewery staff understands their roles
- The Director of Brewing Operations will supervise staff and make sure they are performing their roles adequately. They will develop training manuals and mentorship programs at the brewery to improve the skills of workers. They will oversee the training of new hires. They will also conduct regular performance evaluations in accordance with Company policy and provide appropriate disciplinary measures when necessary.
- Enforce occupational health and safety standards
- They must ensure the brewery is a safe place to work and will enforce safety standards on the production floor. The Director of Brewing Operations will also perform safety audits and ensure that anyone visiting the brewery does so safely.
- Ensure the brewery is extremely clean and functions properly
- The Director of Brewing Operations will be very vigilant when it comes to workplace hygiene. They must ensure that all machinery is correctly maintained and sanitized. They will direct and oversee the logistic team members to ensure all equipment and warehouse space are properly maintained to a show case like standard.
- Work with all suppliers
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years of experience in a production brewery of 15,000 or more bbls production per year.
- 10+ years in the brewing industry.
- 3+ Years in a management or supervisory position.
- Brewing Science degree or relevant classes is a plus
- Previous experience with ERP software such as Ekos Brewmsater or similar software
- Experience using centrifuge, steam boiler and automated packaging systems
- Experience with Siemens and Allan Bradley PLC applications
- Solid / proven knowledge of the craft beer and brewing industry
- Excellent leadership skills with the proven ability to lead and motivate a team and maintain a positive morale in the workforce
- An understanding of Laboratory Operations / Quality Control procedures
- Able to do basic math ( add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, fractions and decimals).
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, namely MS Excel and MS Word.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to stand for prolonged periods.
- Able to stoop, crawl, twist, turn, lift, kneel, climb ladders and stairs.
- Able to manipulate valves and clamps.
- Able to regularly lift/carry 55 pound bags above waist level.
- Able to periodically and safely lift/move 165 pounds.
- Ability to frequently talk, hear, and smell.
- Must be able to participate in critical assessment of beers.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The employee regularly works with hazardous materials.
- The employee works on wet floors and with wet equipment.
- The employee regularly works around high voltage, hot water, and steam.
- The employee frequently must work in a sanitary environment.
- The employee work in a factory/production environment setting which may be loud, slick, humid, and hot and with wide temperature ranged.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- At least 21 years of age.
- Valid CDL/clean driving record.
- Has a “Can Do” and “ No job is too small” kind of attitude.
- Strong work ethic and self-starting attitude.
- Ability to work unsupervised while maintaining safety and quality standards.
- Good time management skills.
- The desire to work in a fast-paced, growing company.
- Has a passion and demonstrated long-term commitment to the industry.
- Positive professional attitude.
- Team player with the ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure.
- Strong multi-tasking skills and detail oriented.
- Professional, polite, and reliable.
- Must have problem solving abilities & be able to think quickly on your feet.
- Ability to work a schedule of (5) full 8-hour workdays per week with the flexibility to work overtime, evenings and weekends and some holidays as dictated by the work load and staffing.
Compensation and Benefit:
- Competitive compensation based on experience.
- Paid time off.
- Paid holidays.
- Health Benefit.
- 401k retirement plan and profit sharing.
- Beer perks.
New Glory Craft Brewery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.