Dean and Company
Apply for this Job
Dean & Co. is looking to add a Head Brewer to our growing operations team and portfolio of beers, which now includes Gold Buckle Beer!
Gold Buckle Beer seeks to provide rodeo fans and contestants premium quality beer, crafted to their tastes. Through our branding and imagery Gold Buckle Beer is authentic to the western lifestyle audience. Gold Buckle Beer is brewed, canned, and distributed from what locals say was once the world’s largest pickle factory. Repurposed and upgraded, the facility has been transformed into a large state of the art brewing facility. Currently consisting of a 50 Barrel brew house and sixteen 150 barrel fermenters, the facility has the capacity to produce approximately 55,000 barrel per year. However, situated on over 5 acres of land with buildings of 300,000 square feet, the facility has significant room for expansion.
In La Junta, we are a company of devoted employees, perfecting a beer for the end of a long day, meant to be a celebration of time well spent. Our goals are big. Our focus and dedication towards brewing for and supporting the western way of life can be tasted in every sip.
Why La Junta? La Junta is located in the beautiful Arkansas River Valley, one of the best kept secrets in Colorado, on US Highway 50 and Amtrak’s Southwest Chief Route. Located away from the hectic rush of our front range neighbors to the northwest, La Junta’s pace is slower and more relaxed with a small-town quality of life and some of the lowest cost of living expenses in Colorado. We enjoy a moderate climate and 300+ days of sunshine per year! Hiking, biking trails, museums, bird watching, hunting or discovering the wealth of heritage, La Junta and the entire Southeast Colorado region is a great place to live.
The Head Brewer will have the ability to manage all brewery operations at the La Junta facility as we grow and expand. The ideal candidate must have extensive experience within a large brewery setting and have a thorough understanding of brewery science.
This position will give the Head Brewer the opportunity to take control of existing products while maintaining quality and consistency, as well as look ahead in developing creative and innovative new products We are looking for a strong leader to be an integral part of the management team and contribute to our continued growth by constantly displaying a high level of competency, maturity, responsibility, and leadership.
- Recipe formulation and development; Create, brew, and refine new and existing beer recipes.
- Ingredient selection and inspection; manage all raw material orders/shipments and inventories.
- Calendar brewing needs and manage the brew plan to ensure scheduling and production fulfill the company’s requirements.
- Develop and formalize standard operating procedures for all brewery processes; monitor each step of the brewing process.
- Implement strategies for process improvement and workflow efficiency.
- Assist in hiring and managing the brewery team and ensure each role is fully staffed and trained.
- Ensure proper use of all cleaning/sanitizing chemicals/agents and adherence to all prescribed safety protocols.
- Maintain the highest standards of quality and consistency.
- Serve as a resource for equipment maintenance.
- At least 2 years of experience in a head/lead brewing capacity inside a large brewery
- Brewing degree ideal; however, someone with a proven track record and well-documented background in brewing operations may also be considered for this opportunity
- Experience with a 30 bbl system or greater
- Strong mechanical background; Strong cleaning/sanitizing background; Lab skills and Micro understanding; Yeast handling proficiency
- Ability to work at a very fast pace yet be precise in daily tasks; excellent time management, prioritization, and delegating skills
- Organized, detail-oriented, and attentive to quality and standards
- Confident, team-oriented management style
- Full availability throughout the week: ability to work morning, mid-day, overnight, and or weekend shifts when necessary
- Ability to frequently reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Ability to lift 55 lbs. and move up to 165 lbs. using traditional methods
- Ability to ascend and descend a staircase and/or ladder repeatedly throughout shift
- Ability to work near moving mechanical parts
- Frequently exposed to strong and sometimes disagreeable odors and occasionally exposed to caustic chemicals
- Frequently exposed to wet conditions and work in extreme cold or heat
- Medical, Dental, Vision
If you’re a driven individual with a positive attitude who wants to work with a dedicated and fun team, then we’d love to hear from you! Please send your resume to Becca Emmons at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*All candidates must have and maintain an acceptable driving record and pass a pre-employment background check.