Ballast Point Brewing (CA)
Apply for this Job
We started out in 1996 as a small group of San Diego home brewers who simply wanted to make a better beer. In our exploration, we became obsessed with ingredients—tinkering, testing and tasting to find the perfect balance of taste and aroma. That adventurous spirit leads to award-winning beers in classic and unique styles while challenging our own tastes and expanding yours.
We’re proud of our San Diego roots, our employees, our beers, and our fans. We think of our employees as family, and you, our fans, as extended family. You’ll see us use #BPPROUD as a badge of pride and a way to further connect with our beer loving community.
Ballast Point Brewing holds itself to the highest Quality standards. We are looking for a bright, self-motivated individual with great work ethic and contagious positive attitude to support and maintain our stellar Quality standards. This position is responsible for performing routine analysis from raw material to finished product to ensure consistent, highest Quality product.
- Daily use and maintenance of GC/MS, GC/ECD, and HPLC; including routine testing and method development
- Daily fermentation monitoring, including but not limited to: gravities, yeast cell counts/viability/vitality, VDK, acetaldehyde
- Packaging analysis, including but not limited to TPO, DO, CO2, N2, pressure, and overall packaging integrity
- Maintain calibration and proper operation of lab equipment, ensure accuracy and reliability of measurements, and help develop SOPs
- Coordination of sample collection and analysis for all testing methods, both for routine analysis as well as for troubleshooting/projects; escalate out of specification data and initiate corrective action
- Clearly communicate information and standardized reports to relevant departments to drive improvements
- Independently and proactively initiate and manage projects to improve quality/consistency and brewery processes
- Help identify, troubleshoot, and document real-time quality issues in a fast-paced environment
- Follow SOP and practice all Brewery Safety Procedures – safely, efficiently, and effectively work to attain department and brewery goals and objectives
- Must perform exemplary work both as part of a team as well as independently
- Effectively work with other departments to identify and implement quality improvement efforts
- Assist other department responsibilities
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Must have intimate familiarity with Mass Spectrometry
- Must be able to independently run and maintain chromatography instrumentation
- 2+ years of QA/QC laboratory experience in brewing or applicable field
- College degree in Science (Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology, Food Science) or Engineering.
- Working brewing knowledge and/or certification from an accredited institution (IBD, UC Davis, etc.)
- Flexible schedule to work day, night, weekend, grave, holiday and alternative work weeks
- Working knowledge of Perkin Elmer GC/MS and Waters HPLC, and associated software
- Advanced college degree in Chemistry, Biology, Food Science, or related field
- 5+ years in brewing or fermentation industry
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- Ability to work at least 8 hours
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Ability to work with long periods of sitting/walking/standing and crouching
- Will work in an industrial setting with heavy moving machinery, loud noises, textured floors and chemicals
- Will be exposed to various weather and temperature conditions both indoors and outdoors
Please note this Job Description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.