Starr Hill Brewery
Apply for Job
CROZET: Lab Technician
Starr Hill is one of Virginia’s oldest and largest independent craft breweries. Starr Hill’s production facility is in Crozet, VA, just 14 miles west of Charlottesville, nestled at the base of Shenandoah National Park and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Access to national parks, trails, and rivers is excellent.
Starr Hill is seeking a qualified and motivated person to join our team in the position of Lab Technician. The lab technician will be primarily focused on the lab but will also be a willing participant in all the brewing and packaging goals. This means at times, the lab technician will be tasked with a variety of operational goals including canning, packaging, sorting, cleaning and cellar tasks. The best candidates will express a can-do attitude with a team-first mentality. The Lab Technician will report directly to the Lead Brewer and Manager of Brewery Operations.
This position is located at our main production facility in Crozet, VA.
Job Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Tank Readings – Gravities, Temperatures, Pressures, pH
– Yeast Management
– Cell Counts using Cell Counter
– ABV Measurements
– IBU/Color Analysis
– Sterile Sampling/Plating
– Prepare stock solutions and medium plates
– General Lab Cleanliness and organization
– Quality Checks on Packaged beer (O2, CO2, color, ABV, etc)
– Must be able to complete, maintain, and analyze laboratory data and report findings
– Sensory Panel Participation and Setup
– Occasional Cellar Duties
– A degree in chemistry, biology, microbiology, food science or related field
– An interest in beer
– Strict attention to detail
– Excellent computer and communication skills
– Experience with Microsoft Excel and Access
– Must be at least 21 years of age
– Must have reliable transportation to and from work
– Must be able to work independently
– Must be cleanliness and safety-minded
– The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, and crouch
– Must be able to use and manipulate fine tools and delicate instrumentation.
– Must be able to stand or move for an entire 8-hour shift.
– The employee must be able to lift up to 55 pounds
Starr Hill Brewery offers competitive compensation and additional benefits including company-sponsored healthcare plan with dental and vision, paid time off, 401k with company matching, paid holidays and, of course, beer! Starr Hill is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.