Area Sales Manager CT & RI
Apply for Job
Increase the availability, visibility, velocity, and volume of Brooklyn Brewery, 21st Amendment, and Funkwerks beers via making sales calls on retail accounts, educating distributor sales teams and consumers, collaborating with distributor leadership directly to plan and review the business, and managing Sales & Marketing Representatives as assigned.
Responsibilities & Expectations:
Account Management- 50% of activity
- Territory Planning and Management: Develops, with the Region Manager, a territory management structure that ensures that markets, distributors, accounts, and consumers are touched with the appropriate frequency. Market times always includes a prepared visit plan that uses anecdotal, VIP, or syndicated data, visits to a defined list of Core Accounts, time spent with distributor reps in work-with settings, and consumer interactions (events, tastings, etc). The Territory Manager is always 100% prepared to sell at all times with samples and support materials. Specific activities include:
- Availability: Sells in new distribution to all on- and off-premise accounts.
- Visibility & Velocity: Sells in volume-enhancing signage and programs to accounts and merchandises products where legal. Calls on off-premise stores during ad periods to ensure distributor display execution is in place.
- Education: Educates distributors, retailers, and consumers in the territory on all general brewery and brand knowledge via distributor sales meeting presentations, ride with responsibilities, retail staff educations, consumer tastings and events.
- Quality: Physically inspects all products in all settings for freshness and ensures all brewery collateral in the market matches brewery Style Guide standards.
- Communication: Writes brief market visit recap emails to distributors and regional manager weekly that list achievements and needed follow-up help. Weekly schedule sent to regional manager only.
- Relationships: Develops and maintains strong relationships with distributor and retail personnel.
- Market Ethics: Acts professionally at all times, is responsible with alcohol, and avoids unsavory sales tactics.
- Special Projects: Executes Quarterly Focus, specific strategic programs, and requested implementations by the Regional Sales Manager to include surveys (pricing, distribution, execution, and quality), crew drives, and more.
- Core Deliverables:
Distributor Collaboration- 25% of activity
Acts as the primary manager of all distributor relationships in the assigned Territory.
- Annual Market Plan: Creates, with Region Manager, an Annual Business Plan (ABP) with all distributors that includes a review of previous results, a brewery branding plan for the upcoming year, program plans, agreed-upon execution objectives, budget, and an overall execution calendar for the upcoming year. Presents the Annual Business Plan to each distributor.
- Business Reviews: Executes Business Reviews with distributors to monitor progress toward goals and solidify or update initiatives. Stays on top of budgets and regularly updates Execution Calendars. Business Review frequency is set by the Region Manager.
- Distributor Knowledge: Has detailed working knowledge of each distributor partner’s organization, go-to-market system, and contract. Cultivates positive relationships with all members of the management and sales teams.
- Inventory: Monitors distributor inventories and orders.
- Core Deliverables:
People Development- 25% of activity (as assigned)
Leads, manages, and develops the Territory’s field sales team toward achievement of market and individual sales and skill development goals.
- Team Leadership and Development: Sets focus areas and specific execution goals with territory sales team that align with distributor goals as well as develop volume deeper in the portfolio. Holds monthly sales meetings/calls with territory team.
- Field Coaching: Consistently spends time with sales reps in the field either selling as a team or working specifically on skill development to enhance reps’ skills in:
- Selling Skills: Probing, Listening, Objection Handling, Closing, Business Math
- Education: executing distributor and wait staff educations, tastings, events
- Quality & Troubleshooting: solving field package and draft problems.
- Performance and Results: Conducts Annual Performance Reviews for direct reports, regularly monitors direct report performance vs. Go-to-Market objectives, and has formal periodic results and skill review conversations with written follow up.
- Core Deliverables:
- Weekly phone meetings with Sales & Marketing Representatives to monitor results and assist.
- Quarterly market visits with a scheduled Skill Development Day with each direct report.
- Top 25 Customer Calls and Ride-with responsibilities for territory.
- Implement Quality Control programs and Style Guides.
- Event Ambassador hiring and management, or as assigned.
- One Annual Performance Review with each Sales & Marketing Representative as assigned.
- Extensive knowledge of product lines and the beverage industry in the assigned territory, specifically local microbreweries and competing distributors.
- Proficient verbal, written, and group communication skills.
- Good decision making and problem solving skills.
- Cicerone Level 1 certification within 3 months of hire date.