Director of Brewing Operations
Garage Brewing Co.
Apply for this Job
Located just north of San Diego, in Murrieta and Temecula, California
Garage Brewing Co est. in 2013 has been steadily growing our production, we continue to be innovative as we expand into new markets. This is a new position and we are looking for an individual that is ready for an opportunity to help facilitate our growth to the next level.
Position requires that you have extensive experience in production brewing and a thorough understanding in all aspects including grain milling, water chemistry, yeast management, hoputilization, filtering, packaging and lab QA and QC.
You are responsible to manage brewhouse operations including utilities, raw materials, personnel and training.
- Create schedules so all stages of the brewing process are performed on time and production targets are met, ensure that beers are produced to maximize the efficiency of the brewery and its staff
- Negotiate prices including freight and write PO’s and establish delivery requirements for critical brewing materials, such as grain, hops, etc. Coordinate other purchase requirements with responsible individuals
- Oversee inventory management, establish inventory levels and coordinate inventory taking procedures, performing brewery audits to ensure quality consistency and repeatability of brewing
- Help management create an appropriate budget for production runs and ensure that it’s met during production runs
- Responsible for moving beer throughout the brewery and making changes based on any issues that occur
- Develop training and mentorship programs to improve the skills of workers
- Be responsible for tasting beer to test the quality of the beer being produced
- Adapt a philosophy of continual improvement.
- Look for ways to brew beer more efficiently and increase the quality of the finished product
- Monitor the reporting of production brewing volumes, yields, down time, etc.
- Manage the work environment that is safe for all employees and implement procedures, conduct training addressing and curbing any safety deficiencies
- Ensure the brewery is a safe place to work and all machinery is correctly maintained and sanitized after use
- Knowledge of OSHA and safety standards, governmental regulatory programs and HACCP
- Create, review and oversee all production SOP’s
- Active in the recruiting, hiring, coaching, counseling and separation of brewing employees
- This is an active role which may require you to be on your feet all day, or some combination of office work, meeting, and floor time.
- 5+yrs experience in a production brewery of ideally brewing at least 10,000 bbls annually
- 3+ yrs in a management or supervisory role
- 10+ yrs in the brewing industry
- Brewing Science degree or equal relevant classes
- Experience with ERP software or equivalent
- A demonstrated ability to drive improvement and innovation
- Ability to utilize best practice manufacturing techniques to improve brewery operations
- Lead continuous improvement of existing recipes and development of new and innovative formulation
- An understanding of laboratory operations/QC procedures
- Vetting, hiring, training, and management of a complete brewery production staff
- Must have a take charge attitude- self motivated and sense of urgency
- Personable, approachable and pleasant demeanor
- Strong work ethic and the ability to multi-task
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Results oriented with the ability to balance workload with other business considerations
- Assist as needed with production including brewing, cellaring, packaging, cleaning, organizing and any other ordinary brewery task
- Provides hand on relief of all positions as necessary to include brewing, filtering and cellar operations
- Physically fit and able to work in a demanding environment
This is a full -time, salaried position
- Competitive compensation package
- Health care plan
- Cell phone reimbursement
Send resume and put the date available to start including work references and contact.