Apply for this Job
Bandit Brewery is a 10bbl microbrewery located in the west end of Toronto. We are looking for an experienced, ambitious head brewer to lead our team of passionate brewers. We are committed to providing an exciting work environment for a candidate who is a proven leader and a team player, is well organized, detail oriented, creative, and crafts excellent brews.
Our goal at Bandit is to create a wide variety of innovative brews, with a lot of rotational products, and a focus on heavily dry hopped New England IPAs, sours, mixed-fermentation and barrel aged beers. We just completed some renovations at our brewery recently that allowed us to increase our barrel capacity so we are very excited to work with someone that is knowledgeable and passionate about a barrel-ageing program.
We are a highly collaborative workplace where all team members opinions are valued and encouraged, so the head brewer will need to be a leader as well as a team player. Both owners are part of the brewing team and are involved in the beer design and brewing process. We also find it important to challenge ourselves and be open minded, so the head brewer will have a deep interest in how the craft beer scene is evolving and be willing to continuously improve products and processes.
Toronto is a great city with a booming beer scene and a lot of other excellent breweries around us, so we believe that this environment will be very stimulating and exciting for a passionate and ambitious brewer who wants to take a step up in her/his career.
Extremely competitive compensation (base salary and bonus structure) based on candidate achievements and experience including relocation costs.
Essential Regular Duties and Responsibilities
- Schedule and manage all production operations
- Forecast beer needs of the Brewpub, Bottle shop and Licensee sales
- Manage brewhouse operations and employees; ensure a safe working environment for all employees.
- Lead and execute the brewing process on our 10bbl brewhouse in a safe and efficient manner. This includes malt preparation and milling, mashing, lautering, wort production and boiling, cooling, transferring to fermenters, packaging, etc.
- Manage CIP of brewhouse and cellar
- Maintain strict quality control by installing processes to manage tastings, beer designs and inventory.
- Maintain equipment, including steam production system, draft system, and troubleshoot any problems.
- Work closely with and report directly to management
- Good understanding of quality assurance / quality control and problem-solving skills and to troubleshoot any beer related issues.
- Handle and manage yeast propagation and storage by following proper harvesting, pitching, and disposal procedures.
- Improve efficiency of existing recipes and craft new recipes
- Manage inventory of raw materials including ordering ingredients from vendors
- Supervise and execute all cellaring duties
- Work independently to manage the production team
- Attend conferences or professional development opportunities
- Create and maintain beer production records and file Provincial and Federal Excise taxes
- Participate in brewing competitions
- Attend beer festivals, beer dinners as needed
- Create training packages for serving staff and conduct trainings as needed
- 3 to 5 years of experience working in a production team at a brewery that produces and packages 1,000+ bbls annually
- Ideal candidate will have experience in barrel aging, sours and mixed-fermentation beers
- Must have experience in beer recipe design
- Must be able to lift up to 55 pounds
- Able to kneel and stoop occasionally
- Able to stand and work for up to 12 hours at a time
- Knowledge and understanding of Excel, Google Drive and other brewery related software
Required Minimum Qualifications