Festival & Sponsorship Associate
Mass. Bay Brewing Company
Apply for Job
Mass. Bay Brewing Company (MBBC), parent company of Harpoon, UFO, Clown Shoes, Arctic Summer and City Roots, is seeking a temporary Festival & Sponsorship Associate to participate in all aspects of planning and producing the 2019 Harpoon Octoberfest (October 4th & 5th in Boston, MA and October 12th & 13th in Windsor, VT). The Sponsorship and Events Associate duties also consist of a wide range of experiential marketing programs involving a busy fall promotional schedule for the Harpoon & UFO brands, including some planning, day-of execution and evaluation. Participation in marketing activities (e.g. festivals, industry events) beyond specific job responsibilities is required. This is a temporary, hybrid position concluding November 15th, 2019.
Festival Associate Responsibilities (60%)
- Music: Participation in the planning and execution of the musical line-up at Festivals. Music-related tasks range from researching bands to executing contracts and on-site coordination during Festivals.
- Supervising Break-Down and Clean-Up: Ensuring documented clean-up plans have been assigned to appropriate managers and Festival Staff task completion during post-Festival period.
- Draft Beer Management: Building, operating and taking down draft systems at Festivals. Ensuring all necessary equipment is in good working order and maintaining said equipment throughout the year.
- Festival Production: Assisting the AVP of Marketing with the set-up, operation and tear-down of the Festival space.
- Administration and Sponsorship: Fielding inquiries from potential sponsors, vendors, musicians and general public concerning Festivals. Returning inquiries and following up on prospective leads.
- Media Planning and Purchasing: Assisting with radio and digital purchase that promotes Festivals. Maintaining relationships with all our suppliers.
- Employee Food and Post-Festival Gathering: Coordinating employee food plan with the Beer Hall Private Events Manager according to budget; arranging and overseeing the post-Festival employee gathering, including schedule, speaking agenda, clean-up crew and shut-down procedure.
Sponsorship and Events Associate Responsibilities (40%)
- Assisting in the execution of event sponsorships throughout the fall event season.
- Communicating with external event directors for Harpoon & UFO involvement and organizing execution of sponsorships, including social media, email communication, staff if appropriate, equipment and logistics to ensure that the Harpoon & UFO brands are well represented from promotion of event to day-of execution.
- Safeguarding and managing all beer and promotional infrastructure (e.g. banners, tents, cold boxes, etc.) to ensure Sales & Marketing teams have supplies as needed.
- Executing numerous event production tasks, including cleaning after events and seeking new opportunities to improve event production.
- Following up and evaluating programs.
- Working with the Harpoon Helps team to execute the 2019 Harpoon Flannel 5K on September 22nd.
REQUIREMENTS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Must be at least 21 years of age and have a valid driver's license.
- Bachelor's degree preferably in Marketing or Business Administration; 1-2 years of experience in promotions or special event planning preferred.
- Attention to detail; the ability to handle many different tasks simultaneously in a stressful environment with an innate ability to problem solve on the spot.
- Self-starter & team player; the ability to work on projects independently with minimal supervision while also working closely with others in a team environment; comfortable with hands-on work.
- Flexibility; the ability to adapt to the wide-ranging tasks associated with this position, from working in an office environment to being on site at the Festival grounds; thriving in an environment that is not the typical "9-5" schedule.
- Work Habits, Competencies & Traits:
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills with the ability to rally and motivate internal and external stakeholders
- Dependability, enthusiasm, and a cheerful & professional demeanor
- Forward thinker who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- Positive attitude and influence
- Assertive, results-oriented and driven with excellent organizational and prioritization skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Genuine enthusiasm for craft beer and a team player attitude
- Variable hours that include night and weekend work.
- Some overnight travel to clients, vendors and events.
- Prolonged standing, bending, stooping, twisting, and lifting of products weighing up to 65 lbs.
- Repetitive hand and wrist motion.
- Working with hot, cold and hazardous equipment.
- Working indoors and outdoors
OPPORTUNITIES & PERKS
MBBC offers some great perks including great co-workers, a friendly environment (pet friendly as well!), and, of course, amazing beer benefits! This position provides the opportunity for professional development in marketing programming via hands-on experience in sponsorship & events planning and production. More broadly, this individual will gain knowledge and skills of consumer engagement through a range of brand activation activities. The unique challenge of this position is twofold: 1) the hybrid nature of this position requires the individual to be both self-directed and proactive in ensuring they are fulfilling the duties of each component of the job, and 2) the work is an unusual combination of physical labor, desk work, customer-facing interaction, behind-the-scenes operations, teamwork and independent work.
FLSA: Interim; September 1st, 2019 (or sooner) - November 15th, 2019
TO APPLY- Please apply directly through our Careers page.