Three Magnets Brewing
Apply for this Job
Olympia, Washington Three Magnets Brewing
Three Magnets brewery is a 15bbl brewhouse, a pub featuring a from-scratch kitchen and catering services, a private event space,and distributes its beer throughout Washington, Oregon, California, and select locations on the East Coast.
We are looking for a head brewer to develop and lead our brewing team. This is an excellent opportunity for someone with commercial brewing experience,preferably with a degree or certification in brewing science and technology, with a demonstrable history of pushing the envelope, and an understanding of market trends and how/when to break with them.
The head brewer will maintain control of all aspects of brewery operations from recipe development to ensuring quality standards as beer is served. The main responsibilities include creating and maintaining production/packaging schedules, raw material procurement, and planning and overseeing of brewery operations. This position is full time.
- Manage the Three Magnets Brewing Company brewing operations, including a 15 BBL brewhouse, 90 bbls of fermentation capacity, brite tanks and barrel program, with 60 more bbls of fermentation coming online soon.
- Possess and maintain proficient understanding of Laboratory Operations / Quality Assurance / Sensory Trained to measure cell health, pitch rates, ABV analysis, BU analysis, taste and color analysis.
- Possess basic mechanical skills - manage maintenance program – coordinate spare parts inventory, preventative maintenance schedule and serve as first line of troubleshooting/problem solving.
- Planning and scheduling of workforce and production to meet packaging, shipping, and new product launch objectives.
- Experience in successfully creating beer recipes.
- Budgeting and ability to set priorities for team to work within well-defined financial targets and guidelines.
- Knowledge of brewing and packaging equipment as well as steam, chilled water, and compressed gas utilities.
- Create and manage the brewing schedule and production to fulfill established brewery requirements. Ensure beer supply is sufficient, quality is high, and that appropriate inventory levels are maintained.
- Create and own brewing capacity calculations and continually update as beer portfolio changes and additional equipment is added
- Consistently evaluate beer and wort quality to ensure it meets the company’s quality standards. Implement appropriate changes to improve processes, recipes, beer flavor, and consistency. Continually assess and evaluate the effects of new ingredients and processes.
- Develop recipes including core beers to align with Three Magnets brand
- Establish ingredient requirements and work with brewery ownership to order and manage raw material inventory
- Work with owners and Operations Manager to develop long term production and brewery operation plans
- Assist in equipment selection required to execute growth initiatives
- Work with Operations Manager on production planning and forecasting
- Maintain all necessary record keeping
- Continually evaluate current brewery operations (e.g., brewing techniques, processes, beer portfolio) and seek out opportunities to improve all areas of operations
- Coach and mentor production employees, lead training initiatives, create opportunities for team development, assist in hiring decisions and lead performance management and recognition while conducting periodic employee performance reviews.
- Adherence to department budget parameters provided by ownership and lead the annual budget process for department
- Support local events (e.g., tap takeovers, beer fests) and be a brand ambassador and one of the many faces of Three Magnets Brewing
- Ensure a safe work environment including understanding of the risks, compliance with health and safety regulations, and corrective action of any identified safety hazards. Must be willing to meet and exceed OSHA work place safety requirements.
- 5 years of experience in a Craft Brewery (10+ barrel brew house, barrel aging, sour production, pilot brewing, keg/can/bottle packaging, etc.).
- Relevant professional experience including, but not limited to, knowledge of commercial brewing equipment and sanitation/cleaning techniques
- Commitment to company's quality standards
- Ability to recognize beer off-flavors and develop corrective actions
- Ability to multitask and work in a time sensitive environment
- Organizational and management skills
- Strong communication skills (web-based email, Microsoft Office suite)
- Sound knowledge of financial management tools
- Critical thinking skills including exceptional troubleshooting skills
- Flexibility to work varied hours as needed
- Project management skills related to brewery expansion and growth projects
- Must be able to follow safety protocol and handle dangerous chemicals safely
- Ability to stand for long periods of time (8-10 Hours)
- Ability to lift heavy objects (lifting up to 55 pounds)
- Ability to work in hot and cold environments
- FT salary based on experience
- Insurance benefits (Health, Vision)
- PTO including vacation, personal, sick, and paid holidays
For more information and any questions on the position, please email email@example.com with the subject ‘Head Brewer’.
More about Three Magnets Brewery:
In 1898, Sir Ebenezer Howard wrote the book Garden Cities of To-Morrow, in which he took aspects of town living and country living to create the concept of a utopian city that lives harmoniously with nature (town-country). Three Magnets Brewing celebrates his way of thinking, which is exemplified in the Pacific Northwest with close connections to nature, commitment to sustainable living, abundance of quality meats and fresh seafood, and embracement of community supported agriculture. Three Magnets houses a pub featuring a from-scratch kitchen (3Mag Pubhouse), a private room/event space for up to 40 people (the Barrel Room), a 15bbl brewhouse, catering for off-site special events, and distributes its beer throughout Washington, Oregon, California, and select locations on the East Coast. http://www.threemagnetsbrewing.com/