Head Brewer - Ownership Partner
Charlotte, NC based Brewery
Apply for this Job
Charlotte, NC Brewing Company
“TBD” Brewing Company is a brewery in development that will be located in Indian Land, SC. We are looking for a head brewer to develop and lead our brewing team and become a partner and owner in our new 10,000 sf brewery. This is an excellent opportunity for someone with commercial brewing experience that wants to plan and development their own brewery from the ground up. Financial partners will fund the venture that the Head Brewer/Partner will lead. Tremendous opportunity for a Head Brewer to go out on his own and create and run a brewery with financial backing.
The head brewer will maintain control of all aspects of brewery operations from recipe development to ensuring quality standards as beer is served. The main responsibilities include creating and maintaining production schedules, raw material procurement, and planning and overseeing of brewery operations. This position is full time and will have an ownership stake in the brewery.
- Lead design and implementation of new brewing system (20BBL – 30BBL)
- Lead taproom design within brewery building
- Possess and maintain proficient understanding of Laboratory Operations / Quality Assurance / Sensory Trained to measure cell health, pitch rates, ABV analysis, BU analysis, taste and color analysis.
- Possess basic mechanical skills - manage maintenance program – coordinate spare parts inventory, preventative maintenance schedule and serve as first line of troubleshooting/problem solving.
- Planning and scheduling of workforce and production to meet packaging, shipping, and new product launch objectives.
- Experience in successfully creating beer recipes.
- Budgeting and ability to set priorities for team to work within well-defined financial targets and guidelines.
- Knowledge of brewing and packaging equipment as well as steam, chilled water, and compressed gas utilities.
- Create and manage the brewing schedule and production to fulfill established brewery requirements. Ensure beer supply is sufficient, quality is high, and that appropriate inventory levels are maintained.
- Create and own brewing capacity calculations and continually update as beer portfolio changes and additional equipment is added
- Consistently evaluate beer and wort quality to ensure it meets the company’s quality standards. Implement appropriate changes to improve processes, recipes, beer flavor, and consistency. Continually assess and evaluate the effects of new ingredients and processes.
- Develop recipes including core beers to align with company brand
- Establish ingredient requirements and work with brewery ownership to order and manage raw material inventory
- Work with ownership partners to develop long term production and brewery operation plans
- Maintain all necessary record keeping
- Continually evaluate current brewery operations (e.g., brewing techniques, processes, beer portfolio) and seek out opportunities to improve all areas of operations
- Support local events (e.g., tap takeovers, beer fests) and be a brand ambassador and one of the many faces of TBD Brewing Company
- Ensure a safe work environment including understanding of the risks, compliance with health and safety regulations, and corrective action of any identified safety hazards
- 3-5 years of experience in a Craft Brewery (10+ barrel brew house, barrel aging, sour production, pilot brewing, keg/can/bottle packaging, brewery installation a plus).
- Relevant professional experience including, but not limited to, knowledge of commercial brewing equipment and sanitation/cleaning techniques
- Commitment to company's quality standards
- Ability to recognize beer off-flavors and develop corrective actions
- Ability to multitask and work in a time sensitive environment
- Organizational and management skills
- Strong communication skills
- Critical thinking skills including exceptional troubleshooting skills
- Flexibility to work varied hours as needed
- Must be able to follow safety protocol and handle dangerous chemicals safely
- Ownership stake in “TBD” Brewing Company
- Insurance benefits (Health, Vision & Dental)
- PTO including vacation, personal, sick, and paid holidays
For more information and any questions on the position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Head Brewer/Partner’.